Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Jeep being rude... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/jeep-being-rude-5521.html)

mon_21 01-12-2010 07:19 AM

Jeep being rude...

Need help! Jeep developed a nasty attitude and started whistling at everybody. It will begin when I start it early in the morning and will get louder when I start to drive and rev up...... only happened this winter season and not last year, its coming under the hood but I cant find the source.... im thinking its one of the vacuums or one of the belts.....

any suggestions?

pjs1965 01-12-2010 10:18 AM

Re: Jeep being rude...

Get it a girlfriend and it should stop whistling at everyone ;)

Does the sound occur durning acceleration only?
2wd/4wd/lo mode? (try different settings)
Does the sound occur if you rev the engine while standing still? (if so, park the Jeep and pop the hood, have someone rev it and pinpoint the sound origin).
Does it get louder with speed?

I think if you start to pay attention to when/how it's happening, you might get closer to why it's happening.

hth

BenReardon 01-12-2010 10:21 AM

i think I heard mine do something similar a few days ago. But it was only on very cold starts, once the engine warmed up it was fine. It was too ealry to worry about and then it went away. as far as I'm concerned, problem solved. haha

Chaoul1 01-12-2010 10:21 AM

Whistling I can only think of the Serpentine Belt...Mine does that a bit. Just check the belt when you have time.

mon_21 01-12-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjs1965 (Post 130716)
Get it a girlfriend and it should stop whistling at everyone ;)

Does the sound occur durning acceleration only?
2wd/4wd/lo mode? (try different settings)
Does the sound occur if you rev the engine while standing still? (if so, park the Jeep and pop the hood, have someone rev it and pinpoint the sound origin).
Does it get louder with speed?

hth

Cant get it girlfriend, might not come home early...

You hear it when you start the car, and it gets louder when you accelerate, I placed the gear in Nuetral while driving and reved up the engine and you can still hear it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenReardon (Post 130718)
i think I heard mine do something similar a few days ago. But it was only on very cold starts, once the engine warmed up it was fine. It was too ealry to worry about and then it went away. as far as I'm concerned, problem solved. haha

same exact thing, only on cold starts, first time I heard it was a week ago but it went away so I didnt think much about it, but it came back this morning.... wish I can say the same thing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 130720)
Whistling I can only think of the Serpentine Belt...Mine does that a bit. Just check the belt when you have time.

I checked that last week too, but it was too damn cold and I opted to pussy out on it....lol, i will check it later today.

bmflyfish 01-12-2010 01:20 PM

If your check engine light has not come on, then I feel safe to say its not a vacumn leak. Any leaks will throw a code. But since it happens either idling, driving or revving the motor makes it a belt/pulley issue. I would start with the belt. If its not the belt then its going to be either the idler pulley or the tensioner. The bearings will start making what I could refer to a whistling sound.

Motteler621 01-12-2010 01:58 PM

just take it to midas and just have them hear the sound. They will tell you what is it for free. Mine started making a little squeaking noise and I showed them the noise when I was out driving. They took it in looked at it and found it was the waterpump bearing. They didnt charge me anything.

mon_21 01-12-2010 07:48 PM

i'll check on the belts tomorrow, and if i cant find where its coming from i'll bring it to the shop so they can take a look at it..... thanks for the help guys!

Martyp 01-13-2010 02:26 PM

I'd guess the belt too if it disappears after a little while, my last car used to do that for a min or so on very cold mornings other times it was fine.

Knightrider03m 01-13-2010 07:28 PM

Sounds like a belt. My moms Nitro did it to her in the cold.

Chaoul1 01-13-2010 07:29 PM

Check the belts for any cracks in the threads.

caa0428 01-13-2010 11:22 PM

If you haven't used the warrenty recall for the radiator fan take it in asap. I live in South Florida, we had freezing temps one night and the next day it was 70 again and today my radiator fan just decide to BLOW UP. I was hearing a whistling noise then it turn into a screaching noise about a week before it happen now they might have to replace my radiator, definetly the radiator fan plastic cover and the fan. I post up some pics tomorrow. I have about 50 bits and pieces of plastic sitting in my cladding.