Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Tire Sensor Bad/Missing after oil change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/tire-sensor-bad-missing-after-oil-change-55225.html)

kquilt53 02-22-2013 10:27 AM

Tire Sensor Bad/Missing after oil change

Hi all, new to the board, but long time Jeep Owner! I took my 2004 Grand Cherokee in yesterday for 5000 mile oil change. I've had a few problems with service over the years at my dealer, but usually oil changes every 5000 miles go smoothly. I waited for two hours (typical and expected) and had to go to an appointment quickly afterwards. I got in my car and the message beeped and popped up "Tire Sensor Bad/Missing" when I started the car. Due to an appt., I could not go back in at that moment, but came back a few hours later and told my service rep. what happened. He said it was just a coincidence and did not think it was anything to do with them, even though it happened while they were working on the car. They put it on the lift and told me the left front tire sensor was missing. Here's my question...can the sensor just fall off and disappear while doing an oil change? I have not called my service manager yet, but I will. Just wanted a little input if possible. Also...the service rep told me the replacement sensor would cost $140 and he could order it. I left somewhat dumbfounded. Any input would be greatly appreciated before I proceed with the service manager!
Love my JEEP!
KS

cjennings911 03-15-2013 01:09 PM

Same thing happened to me i dont know anything about tire sensors but my mechanic said 50 bones for a new sensor i would prob find a new mech.

2005JGC 03-16-2013 04:22 PM

Re: Tire Sensor Bad/Missing after oil change

There is not really any way they could have killed the sensor, it integrated into the valve stem but mounted on the inside of the wheel/tire. For an 04' I would not be supprised if it was just dumb luck that it happened right when you got it back (or for them). Ultimately coming from their position, a problem so obvious as this they likely noted right away and figured you knew about it and were just living with it. Its not super common but there have been times that I was working on a car wondering why in the hell the customer was nitpicking about a tiny squeek when there is a horrible knock from the suspension that sounds like something is coming apart, only to have them mad at the "new noise its making" when they pick it up. Cars break, for a 9 yr old sensor that is protected by the tire I would chalk this up to dumb luck. I wouldnt be supprised if over the next year or 2 you have failures of sensors in other wheels.

If your going to look for another mechanic over 140 bucks then I would NEVER argue otherwise because your likely a customer that is ranting on the drive affecting other business. Just sayin.