Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/own-a-12-hemi-driving-a-v6-laredo-loaner-some-thoughts-55235.html)

jd2012jgc 02-22-2013 12:56 PM

Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Just want to start out by saying I'm not trying to start another war here :o.

My '12 Overland 5.7 has been with the dealer for a few days to fix some ongoing issues (cold weather start up squeal, rear shock rattles) and I've got a loaner Laredo V6 to abuse around town for a few days, so I thought I'd share some thoughts and impressions.

1. Love the Laredo's steering. Its noticeably lighter. Im not sure if they use a different system between the Laredo V6 and the Overland V8, or if its a difference in weight between the 2 engines.

2. Love the Pentastar's acceleration in city driving (the stoplight Grand Prix). The V6 actually feels "peppier" from 0-45 mph than my Overland's hemi. Again, I dont know if its gearing, or a lighter base weight, but you'd think that a bigger displacement engine with more torque should prevail at lower speeds. My Hemi actually feels like I'm accelerating a battleship from a stop compared to this Laredo's Pentastar :mad:

3. Highway speeds. This is where the Hemi pulls ahead (no pun intended). By ~75mph the Pentastar seems winded and needs a heavier foot to keep it steady at that speed. On the other hand, at 75mph, the Hemi is loafing along, and has tons of power on tap for passing/accelerating.

4. Gas mileage. Yep the V6 wins. I'm seeing about a 20% better fuel average ( by no means a scientific calculation...) in combined city/hwy.

My conclusion. I really do like my Hemi, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the Pentastar.

JoeSchmoe007 02-22-2013 01:03 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Great unbiased feedback.

Is Hemi much noisier than V6 overall? I own '11 with V6 and one of the things I enjoy about it is how quiet it is.

Chris_IAH 02-22-2013 01:09 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 765384)
Great unbiased feedback.

Is Hemi much noisier than V6 overall? I own '11 with V6 and one of the things I enjoy about it is how quiet it is.





That is the only thing I don't like about the V6...it's TOO quiet. My neighbor said (as a joke) that it sounded like a Hybrid! :lol:

JoeSchmoe007 02-22-2013 01:22 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_IAH (Post 765391)
That is the only thing I don't like about the V6...it's TOO quiet. My neighbor said (as a joke) that it sounded like a Hybrid! :lol:

My main reason for not buying a Hemi was numerous reports of "HEMI tick" on other Chrysler cars where HEMI is used. I know it would drive me insane (just google it and listen to some of videos on YouTube). Even though this didn't seem to be reported here for WK2 a shudder problem for WK2 with HEMI is well-known and I think I would be irritated by it too. I would like to have a bit more power and am willing to pay the price but not if it comes with such downsides.

Specx 02-22-2013 01:28 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Nice comparison. I test drove both the V6 and V8 in a 2013 model and you definitely hear the Hemi in the cabin and outside the vehicle more than the V6. I couldn't believe how quiet it was when I closed the door with the V6 running. With that said, the power and sound of the V8 won me over after testing both.

JoeSchmoe007 02-22-2013 01:31 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 765400)
Nice comparison. I test drove both the V6 and V8 in a 2013 model and you definitely hear the Hemi in the cabin and outside the vehicle more than the V6. I couldn't believe how quiet it was when I closed the door with the V6 running. With that said, the power and sound of the V8 won me over after testing both.

Yeah, I also drove HEMI at a test-drive in 2010. I do remember it being noisier, just can't recall by how much.

SMG1 02-22-2013 04:17 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jd2012jgc (Post 765373)
1. Love the Laredo's steering. Its noticeably lighter. Im not sure if they use a different system between the Laredo V6 and the Overland V8, or if its a difference in weight between the 2 engines.

The V6s got electro-hydraulic steering in 2012 whereas the V8s still have traditional hydraulic racks (even for 2014). The V6 is also, as you mention, much lighter.

FAUEE 02-22-2013 08:09 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
The rev-happy V6 makes it feel faster, as does the much lighter weight of a base Laredo compared to your Overland.

Your Hemi would annihilate the V6 Laredo in a race, but feel slower doing it because it the very linear power delivery. When I was in college I had an old Ford Explorer with the 4.0L, and one of my good friends had an Acura Integra. When you were in the Integra you'd swear the car was fast as heck, it was light, loud, low, and rev super fast. The reality was that my Explorer was actually faster up until about 60mph, but it never felt like it was fast at all (probably because it wasn't, lol). I mean, when you planted your foot on the gas, it didn't even kick you back in your seat or anything, lol.

Weight and linear power without requiring big revs will do that. They're great for an around town cruiser, but not as much fun.

JTS97Z28 02-22-2013 08:46 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 765660)
The rev-happy V6 makes it feel faster, as does the much lighter weight of a base Laredo compared to your Overland.

Your Hemi would annihilate the V6 Laredo in a race, but feel slower doing it because it the very linear power delivery. When I was in college I had an old Ford Explorer with the 4.0L, and one of my good friends had an Acura Integra. When you were in the Integra you'd swear the car was fast as heck, it was light, loud, low, and rev super fast. The reality was that my Explorer was actually faster up until about 60mph, but it never felt like it was fast at all (probably because it wasn't, lol). I mean, when you planted your foot on the gas, it didn't even kick you back in your seat or anything, lol.


Yeah I dunno about that. I mean yes the Hemi will be faster, but I think you would be surprised at how a light weight base Laredo V6 would do against a loaded Overland V8. And I certainly wouldnt call it an annihilation because it wouldn't be. This is coming from an unbiased owner because I have pretty much had'em all. I have had a Hemi in a WK, SRT8 WK, Overland WK2 V6 to name a few. I drove a Overland V8 right after driving my Overland V6 and was surprised that I couldnt tell if the Overland was faster or not. I understand what your saying about linear power delivery or whatever, but it just didn't feel any quicker when flooring it. With that said if and when it comes time to buy another Grand Cherokee I will probably not be going with the V6 again. In my 2012 even though the V6 was great for daily driving and ok fuel economy, it just lacked something that a car enthusiast looks for in a vehicle. The shift points IMO were terrible, and I really missed the grunt of the V8. The sound alone just makes it feel like a whole different vehicle. I assume the new 8spd will improve driveability over the 5spd, but once they are readily available on the lots I will test drive them all to see how they are. Cant wait to hear actual reports from the new owners on the forums here.

dubwarren 02-22-2013 09:33 PM

Wow. The Hemi not as quick off the line as the v6. I too own an overland with the Hemi and was also without my vehicle for a few days. I also got a v6 Laredo as a replacement. My experience was the exact opposite. To me the v6 was sluggish and not really even comparable as far as performance goes.

One of three things is going on here-

The overland I own is one of the early build models, pre quadra lift. Maybe this particular Hemi is geared differently than the version of the Hemi overland that followed and the Hemi the op owns.

Or

Maybe the weight of the quadra lift system slows the vehicle down considerably.

Or

Maybe I got a really crappy, beat up v6 from enterprise that died the day after I returned it.

Either way, this got me curious as to how quick my jeep was 0-60. I've read mid 8's is to be expected for the Hemi.

After timing 3 runs in sport mode I'm averaging mid 6's.

Does anyone have any idea why my 0-60 times differ from what jeep says I should be getting?


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

FAUEE 02-22-2013 09:54 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubwarren (Post 765708)
Does anyone have any idea why my 0-60 times differ from what jeep says I should be getting?

Those Jeep numbers you're quoting are from overseas, where they sandbagged the crap out of its performance numbers compared to the CRD.

My guess as to why is to use those smaller markets as test areas for the CRD before bringing it to the US.

Your numbers are in line with everyone else though, don't worry.

GBJeep 02-22-2013 09:56 PM

Re: Own a '12 Hemi, driving a V6 Laredo loaner. Some thoughts...
 
Once again the responses to the Hemi or V-6 vary by each owner. But that's what I like about Jeep Garage- different opinions or views by all. My experience was that I had taken a V-6 for several test drives and found the engine noise to be a bit loud at higher speeds. I wasn't even considering the Hemi but the wife suggested we take one for a spin....end of story.
The gas mileage is an issue but I couldn't be happier with mine and the only excessive engine noise I hear is the growl when I crank up my Jeep. :cool:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community