Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Wj or wk (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/wj-or-wk-55251.html)

C-Ron 02-22-2013 06:28 PM

Wj or wk

I've been looking into getting either a Wj or Wk for a few months now but can't seem to make up my mind. I like that the wj has so many suspension options available and I would like to do a long arm suspension, but I also like the wk bc of the hemi option, QD2, and the interior is obviously less dated. Another thing is that i cant find a long arm kit for the wk. I'm no jeep expert so any facts, opinions, pros/cons you can throw my way will be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lucas J 02-22-2013 06:44 PM

Re: Wj or wk

If you want it for strictly off road, the WJ is the way to go because of the all the suspension options and the SFA.
The WK, which I love, is IFS and the aftermarket support sucks. You are not going to find any long arm kits for the WK (at least now). Just an overpriced lift from JBA, the Superlift and few BB.
If you are looking for a daily driver that you can wheel on weekends and such the WK with a 4 inch Superlift and some 33's will suit you just fine. Plus as you mentioned with the WK you can get the Hemi and QDII. Which are both amazing.

C-Ron 02-22-2013 07:01 PM

It wont be a daily driver although i want the wife to feel comfortable driving it in bad weather bc her daily driver isn't awd. I'm leaning toward the wk with the 4' super lift, but I'm not sure how that will ride down washboard roads or how difficult of a trail it could handle. I could be wrong but wouldn't the wj with a long arm suspension be smoother at high speeds on rough trials?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Bikemobile 02-22-2013 07:17 PM

Sounds to me like you need a 4door wrangler.

C-Ron 02-22-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikemobile (Post 765635)
Sounds to me like you need a 4door wrangler.

Yea I considered one but they're 17-20k used and in good shape. I can get a wj or wk and get my lift and wheels for that price and the wife would probably be more comfortable.

Hacksaw 02-22-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Ron (Post 765642)
Yea I considered one but they're 17-20k used and in good shape. I can get a wj or wk and get my lift and wheels for that price and the wife would probably be more comfortable.

You can get 2 WJ's a big lift for one with trail tires and goodies and a bb with slightly larger tires for her to drive for the $20k...(and have a parts truck)

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

C-Ron 02-22-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 765648)
You can get 2 WJ's a big lift for one with trail tires and goodies and a bb with slightly larger tires for her to drive for the $20k...(and have a parts truck)

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

Haha yea I know. I've found wj's in good shape for 5-7k which leaves me with plenty of coin to play with. I don't want to go over 15k

paroxysym 02-24-2013 07:58 PM

Personally- I'd go overland WJ, 03-04 so you'll have the HO 4.7. The aftermarket for that motor and the SFA is great and the options are plenty. The WJ is lighter and alittle quicker on it's feet, however the IFS in the WK makes for a nice smooth DD. I miss my WJ and wish I had it longer than I did so I could have modded it. Iron rock offroad makes some great quality kits for the WJ, I'd look to them for the lift

C-Ron 02-25-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 767008)
Personally- I'd go overland WJ, 03-04 so you'll have the HO 4.7. The aftermarket for that motor and the SFA is great and the options are plenty. The WJ is lighter and alittle quicker on it's feet, however the IFS in the WK makes for a nice smooth DD. I miss my WJ and wish I had it longer than I did so I could have modded it. Iron rock offroad makes some great quality kits for the WJ, I'd look to them for the lift

I've found 2 wj's, overland HO, that I'm considering but I'm also wondering how stout the drivetrain components are. After putting on a 6" lift and bigger wheels, what else will I need to upgrade and what is the cost, roughly?

HEMI35 02-25-2013 11:42 PM

I have a 07 GC HEMI, and it is great, I live near the desert and beaches and I go off road frequently (the jeep is stock right now) and never had any problem (no rock crawling though). For what I have read on the forums, you just need 2 to 4 inches lift to make it an off road beast and fit big tires. BUT I also read that more than 3 inches of lift affects the geometry (OME lift is what they use the most here). For 6 - 8 inches, go for that JBA (very expensive, though).
What I really recommend you to do is to drive both, the HO vs the HEMI and then decide; the HEMI engine is a beast!!

C-Ron 02-26-2013 08:42 AM

I do plan on using this for trails and rock crawling but I'm leaning toward the wk bc my dd has a hemi and I love it. If I'm off tomorrow then I'm going to see if I can find a wj with the HO to test drive and compare. The two wj's that I'm considering are 5 hours away so it's not so easy for me to simply go test drive them. Otherwise I would've probably made up my mind by now. There is one wk at a local dealership with 92k miles but they want 14k for it. I've found some around Dallas for 10-12k. The wj's in that area are between 8-10k, less than 100,000 miles or right at it.

TJXJWJ 02-26-2013 08:57 AM

The HO is no slouch...believe me. I always wondered how one would stack up next to a hemi WK.

I'd suggest the WJ. Any serious wheeler wants that solid front axle over IFS. 2004 was the last year for them. You can find an HO in some Limiteds, the Overland, the Columbia, and Freedom Editions, and a handful of Laredos...so you don't have to limit your search to just Overland. Especially if you're going to lift it. The overland comes with the UpCountry suspension which you're removing anyway. I also like having a shifter for 4 lo. My wife's old WK didn't have that. The WJ's Quadradrive does. As for ride and comfort, the WJ is extremely comfortable in my opinion. I've driven the WK too (my wife used to have one). It's a different ride, but both are very comfortable.