Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   leaking steering box? kit? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/leaking-steering-box-kit-55258.html)

GuttaFixIt 02-22-2013 08:50 PM

leaking steering box? kit?

Hi I went to replace the power steering pump tonight. When I took the air box off I saw the power steering box wet. I sprayed it with brake cleaner. Cleaned it up and started the jeep rocked the steering back and forth. I shut off the engine and looked at the box. I saw it seeping from the box. Since I already bought the pump I replaced it anyways. It wasn't leaking. lol Just my luck.. :lol:
After replacing the pump I put the old belt on so when I start it if the pulley is off a little it won't eat the new belt. I'll put the new belt on when I know it's not going to make any noise. I did flush the system. That fluid was black and gross. But 128,000 miles I think it was original. I didn't know the second you start the engine it pumped the fluid. I thought you had to rock the steering back and forth. After loosing the fluid quite fast I realized it. So I had my wife start it and then shut it off right after she started it. That worked great. Now I have to wait till tomorrow to start it because I bought 2 quarts of fluid and I didn't have enough to fill the container. The auto parts store is closed so I can't go buy another quart. That su*ked!! lol

Is it hard to replace the steering box? I can buy a new 1 around $140.00.
Thanks, Dan

GuttaFixIt 02-22-2013 09:16 PM

Re: leaking steering box? kit?

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the box. Should I rebuild it or buy new?

JeepMe 02-22-2013 10:07 PM

I found a "how to" that shows how to replace the steering box and it didn't look too hard. It basically amounted to removing the air box, removing the wiper fluid reservoir, disconnect the steering shaft, disconnect pitman arm, and remove the 4 bolts holding it to the frame. The hardest part seems to be the removal of the pitman arm, just rent or buy a puller.

Frango100 02-23-2013 05:40 AM

Are you sure its leaking from the steering gearbox itself? Looking at the picture the gearbox housing seems to be dry. The 2 rigid lines going to the gearbox seem to be touching each other, have a look for chaving there.
Also the lower hose in the picture is not properly connected, the rim at the tube should be touching the hose.

GuttaFixIt 02-23-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 765873)
Are you sure its leaking from the steering gearbox itself? Looking at the picture the gearbox housing seems to be dry. The 2 rigid lines going to the gearbox seem to be touching each other, have a look for chaving there.
Also the lower hose in the picture is not properly connected, the rim at the tube should be touching the hose.

Yes I noticed the hose wasn't touching the tube also. That's the way it was when I got the jeep. I'll fix it when I do the box. It's all clean and dry because I sprayed brake cleaner on it. I'll take another pic when it's wet. I looked at it after starting it and I can see it is seeping out and that is only within couple minutes.

GuttaFixIt 02-23-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 765723)
I found a "how to" that shows how to replace the steering box and it didn't look too hard. It basically amounted to removing the air box, removing the wiper fluid reservoir, disconnect the steering shaft, disconnect pitman arm, and remove the 4 bolts holding it to the frame. The hardest part seems to be the removal of the pitman arm, just rent or buy a puller.

I have a puller. I'll look into replacing it or rebuilding it.

Frango100 02-23-2013 04:41 PM

Rockauto has the steering gear (remanufactured) for USD 90, but you will have to return the old core. They also have seal kits for around USD 20.

GuttaFixIt 02-23-2013 10:25 PM

Maybe I'll check the seal kit then if it's only around 20. Thank you all for helping me on this.
Dan

Gus9890 02-26-2013 04:32 PM

It's not a hard job to do, just takes a lil time to do

GuttaFixIt 02-26-2013 08:04 PM

After reading some posts. I think I'm buying a new one. The jeep has 130,000 miles and that's a lot of wear on those moving parts in the box. I now I can replace it. I just did my head gasket job in my Venture van last winter. And it still going so I must of did it right. HAHA
I'll do an update after I do it.
Thanks, Dan