Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   shifting soleniod a problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/shifting-soleniod-a-problem-55414.html)

wj_dubes 02-25-2013 12:01 PM

shifting soleniod a problem

ok i have a 01 wj and once in a while is will go in lip gear, witch it stays in 3 gear. i put it in nutrul and shut her down and then start her back up and it stay out of lip mode for a little while but then it gose back in after i drive it all day. it allways when i'm coming to a stop that it dose it. When it dose right before i come to a stop she shift down hard. can anyone help, need to fix soon.....

01grand 02-25-2013 03:36 PM

Re: shifting soleniod a problem

Which engine/transmission do you have? Go to an auto parts store and have them check codes, this will help narrow down the problem.

Frango100 02-25-2013 05:16 PM

Yeh, Aaron is right. You need to check the fault codes first to be able to know what is going on. The transmission goes into LIMP (not lip :D) mode, when the transmission control module sees a failure which could cause damage to the transmission. The check engine light is most probably on and when doing the key dance, you will find fault code P0700, which only tells you that the TCM (transmission control module) has set a fault code and needs to be scanned to know which fault it is.
Engine /tranny combination is important to know as well, to be able to narrow down the problem.

wj_dubes 02-26-2013 02:16 PM

it has the 4.7l and the trany is the 45rfe i took it in to have it looked at they said that it need a new line pressure sensor the assembly solenoid block and the basics tune up filter and trany fluid but my question is what problem could i have would I have to rest the tcm???? And would it be that had to do because it really don’t look so hard just getting in to the newer model never had to do this before

wj_dubes 02-26-2013 02:17 PM

and the code that pop us it the shifting solenoid a i cant rember the number

01grand 02-26-2013 02:51 PM

If its code P0750 you probably need a new solenoid block. You can get them from electricaladvantage.com they are available at a reasonable price. You have to drop the pan and remove the valve body which the solenoid is mounted to to replace it. Its a fairly simple job to do as long as you follow the procedures and retorque the bolts properly, it comes with decent instructions. Then as long as you are in there get new filters and since you had to dump the fluid you will need to replace that too.

Frango100 02-26-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wj_dubes (Post 768155)
and the code that pop us it the shifting solenoid a i cant rember the number

All the solenoids are mounted inside the solenoid block, so by changing that one you will be fine. The line pressure sensor is a 5 min job to replace. Its mounted on the right hand aft side of the tranny.
You will need RTV for sealing the tranny pan, or use a prefab seal. My experience is that the RTV seals better, at least i had bad experiences with the prefab seal.
When you want to do the job yourself and you would like to have more instructions, let us know.