Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   2012 with Tow package and Compact spare tire? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/2012-with-tow-package-and-compact-spare-tire-55570.html)

12Jeep 02-28-2013 12:04 AM

2012 with Tow package and Compact spare tire?
 
Picked up a screw in the rear tire over the weekend, ordered some tires, changed the flat tonight and found that I have the compact spare tire. Checked out wk2jeeps.com and it indicated a full size spare was included with the tow package. Anyone else check out their spare, what was the tire size? Should I have received a larger tire/wheel combo for the spare?

fwdjeep 02-28-2013 12:17 AM

Yep we all got conned
Have same

BobT 02-28-2013 01:12 AM

Re: 2012 with Tow package and Compact spare tire?
 
Me too! The rim is actually a full size rim (8x18) albeit steel so technically they can claim they have provided a full size spare wheel. However, that is far from what most people expect of a full size spare. Misleading advertising perhaps? The tyre is a 245/65R18 XL rather than the road wheel 265/60R18. The problem is that with the road wheel tyres, the cargo bay lid won't properly close. Ironically, if one puts LT 265/60R18 tyres on the steel rim, the lid closes perfectly. That is because LT tyres don't bulge as much as passenger tyres despite generally needing higher pressures. But wait, there's more. If one then does what I did and put an LT tyre on an OEM alloy rim, again the lid won't fully close. This, I think is because despite the steel rim and the alloy rim being nominally the same size, the alloy rim is deeper in its body.

Yaccster 02-28-2013 04:22 AM

Re: 2012 with Tow package and Compact spare tire?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Jeep (Post 769478)
Picked up a screw in the rear tire over the weekend, ordered some tires, changed the flat tonight and found that I have the compact spare tire. Checked out wk2jeeps.com and it indicated a full size spare was included with the tow package. Anyone else check out their spare, what was the tire size? Should I have received a larger tire/wheel combo for the spare?

Good thing it was the rear tire, the spare won't fit over the front brembos, thats why they have runflats!

12Jeep 02-28-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaccster (Post 769545)
Good thing it was the rear tire, the spare won't fit over the front brembos, thats why they have runflats!

Yep, I guess I was lucky it was the rear tire, would not look forward to the additional tire swapping to move a rear tire to the front.

The spare is on an 18 inch steel wheel but the tire width is only a 175. The jeep definitely looks strange from behind with that thin tire sitting across from stock tire.

12Jeep 02-28-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 769506)
Me too! The rim is actually a full size rim (8x18) albeit steel so technically they can claim they have provided a full size spare wheel. However, that is far from what most people expect of a full size spare. Misleading advertising perhaps? The tyre is a 245/65R18 XL rather than the road wheel 265/60R18. The problem is that with the road wheel tyres, the cargo bay lid won't properly close. Ironically, if one puts LT 265/60R18 tyres on the steel rim, the lid closes perfectly. That is because LT tyres don't bulge as much as passenger tyres despite generally needing higher pressures. But wait, there's more. If one then does what I did and put an LT tyre on an OEM alloy rim, again the lid won't fully close. This, I think is because despite the steel rim and the alloy rim being nominally the same size, the alloy rim is deeper in its body.

My spare is only a 175/60/R18....
Would have been much less surprised if the tire was as wide as a 245 or 265....

BobT 03-01-2013 04:54 AM

Re: 2012 with Tow package and Compact spare tire?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Jeep (Post 769640)
My spare is only a 175/60/R18....
Would have been much less surprised if the tire was as wide as a 245 or 265....

OK, sorry, I'm in Australia. I wrongly assumed we all had the same spare.

radbushi 03-11-2013 02:42 PM

Re: 2012 with Tow package and Compact spare tire?
 
You should never put a temp spare on the frount. Not safe.

12Jeep 03-12-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radbushi (Post 778195)
You should never put a temp spare on the frount. Not safe.

Agreed, the compact spare on the rear was a bit scary. Can one of you who has a 2012 SRT8 or newer with the tow package look and see what size the spare is. I can't help but think I had the wrong tire included with my vehicle.

nosmoke 03-20-2013 06:43 PM

Re: 2012 with Tow package and Compact spare tire?
 
I just looked at my spare. I don't feel like removing it from the bay, but there are no markings for the size on there. All kinds of warnings about temporary use, etc, and inflation maximums. But no size. It's a Goodyear, by the way.

12Jeep 03-20-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosmoke (Post 784476)
I just looked at my spare. I don't feel like removing it from the bay, but there are no markings for the size on there. All kinds of warnings about temporary use, etc, and inflation maximums. But no size. It's a Goodyear, by the way.

Thanks for responding....I also noticed the tire size on the sticker inside the driver side door with the other tire info. Basically what I can't seem to get the answer to is "what size spare should be included on a 2012 SRT8 with the tow package option?". Maybe I have the right one already....

jim383 03-29-2013 10:59 AM

Re: 2012 with Tow package and Compact spare tire?
 
As long as the tire is 30.5 in tall thats all you really care about. I measured my spare gy donut tire and it is 30.5 in tall and mine was built in dec 2011. Heres the tire size (Good yr T 175/90D 18) Max speed 50 mph Max air pressure 60 lbs. The wt of the spare tire is 50 lbs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community