Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Spastic Wipers - huh? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/spastic-wipers-huh-55585.html)

markp99 02-28-2013 08:14 AM

Spastic Wipers - huh?

I've had my WK2 for a couple years and never noticed this condition before:

Highway driving, light mist mostly kicked-up by cars ahead of me. Wipers frantically switch between crazy-full-speed wiping and then slow-speed wiping, back and forth, over and over. Wiper switch was dialed to first detent, rain/mist conditions did not seem to change appreciably.

I realize the rain/windshield conditions dictate when wipers switch on and off, but I thought I needed to dial-in the wiper control the 3rd detent to get max-speed wiping.

This may be normal function, but seemed totally unfamiliar in my Jeep.

Thoughts?

AAAA 02-28-2013 08:20 AM

Re: Spastic Wipers - huh?

Might be because they are speed sensitive at this setting.

markp99 02-28-2013 09:04 PM

Confused.

Even at constant highway speed this frequent variable action is a normal function?

AAAA 03-01-2013 09:30 AM

My vote would be that this is normal especially at highway speeds. Windshield sensor is reading light dispersion caused by droplets which tend to spread out and/or merge together. It is one of those options that I can live without.

jd2012jgc 03-01-2013 10:09 AM

It happens from time to time on all vehicles with auto wipers--the sensor gets a bit confused.
As previously mentioned, this is one feature that I could live without. I can set my own variable wiper speed, thanks.:o

jacko15 03-01-2013 01:02 PM

According to the 2014 manual this feature can be turned off in the EVIC. It also explains the sensitivity settings. Don't know about the '11, '12 & '13 model years.

markp99 03-01-2013 01:19 PM

I'll need to set the "Spasticity" setting = 1 :)

berk483 03-04-2013 10:58 AM

I could very well be wrong but I think the overall sensitivity depends on which variable setting (on the stalk) you have it on. I've noticed that if it's a bit heavier than misting but not really raining I will put it on the second variable detent and it seems to trigger the auto-wipers more often. Which of the vaiable settings on the stalk do you have it set at?

As far as the overall functionality of the auto-wipers, I like them. I've been on the highway where they would be running a normal speed for the conditions and then when I go by another vehicle they speed up because of the additional spray from the other vehicle and then they calm back down after I have passed.

*EDIT: Sorry I missed the part in your OP that mentioned what detent you were on...my bad