Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   2014 Summit with trailering package & no brake controler? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/2014-summit-with-trailering-package-and-no-brake-controler-55591.html)

semper fi 02-28-2013 10:46 AM

2014 Summit with trailering package & no brake controler?

Anybody know why they are touting the 7,400 lbs towing capacity on the diesel Summit and not including an electronic brake control on the package that supposedly cost $900? My dealer told me that he could add it after market. My Silverado has it built in and applies the brakes on the trailer in direct relation to how hard I apply them on the truck. Seems like it should be something they would have thought of, or maybe my dealers are wrong????:confused:

SF

webspoke 02-28-2013 11:09 AM

Re: 2014 Summit with trailering package & no brake controler?

Not wrong, same as it has been in the 2011-13's. All that is supplied is a pigtail/plug in that will adapt to most aftermarket controllers. I use a tekonsha prodigy on mine. It would be great to have an integrated controller like the trucks do.

denis4x4 02-28-2013 11:25 AM

Doubt if the demand is there to make it an OE option. FYI, the towing capacity on the hemi is 7200# on the 4wd and the torque is only 30 foot pounds less then the diesel.

The Evil Twin 02-28-2013 05:29 PM

In all honesty, 99% of the system IS there. All you need is a controller. The factory did all the wiring, installed the breakers/ fuses, tapped the brake signal, tapped the reverse signal and terminated it all nice and neat up under the dash for us to plug in to. The only difference between my friends F150 and my GC is that his controller is behind the kick panel trim and sticks through it where as mine is mounted outside the trim. And that will change, as I intend to fab something to mount it behind the panel and stick through.

semper fi 03-01-2013 07:57 AM

Ok, but for [what I've been told] $900 if pretty stiff for a wiring cable and hitch adapter. Can it really cost that much more for a factory controller? I really like the variable input to the trailer brakes that my Silverado gives me. I've had other Silverados that I had to install an aftermarket controller and you have to fiddle with the controls to get the brakes right, then the road changes.:eek:

As far as the Hemi goes, it's the fuel milage and longevity that I'm looking for. Usually when I retire a vehicle, they come with the hook and haul it away. lolol

SF

denis4x4 03-01-2013 11:12 AM

Try etrailer.com as they list two brake controllers for the GC for under $200.

semper fi 03-01-2013 04:56 PM

Thank you for the advice. I've installed these controls before, but my point was at this day and age why wouldn't they have figured out up in Detroit that people who tow trailers also have them with brakes? This will be a dealer installed option before I pick up the 2014 Summit if they want to sell me the vehicle.

Thanks again for the tip,:thumbsup:
SF

semper fi 04-14-2013 10:58 AM

The dealer and I went looking at a 2014 Overland to see where he could install the trailer brake controller. There doesn't seem to be an obvious place. Has anybody done this yet, and if so, where did you mount the unit. A picture sure would help. The airbag sits under the steering wheel where I would normally mount the controller.

Thanks,
SF

semper fi 04-20-2013 07:12 AM

Found what MOPAR calls an Integrated Trailer Brake Module that installs to the left of the steering wheel in the dash [pn 82213173] for $129. This will be installed on my 2014 GCD when I take delivery.

SF

denis4x4 04-20-2013 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My dealer installed a Directlink (direclink.com) brake controller with the control mounted to the left of the steering wheel. This is the unit that "talks" to the Jeep computer. I looked under the dash and decided that I'd pay the dealer to install it. They did a very neat job.

semper fi 04-21-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 807862)
My dealer installed a Directlink (direclink.com) brake controller with the control mounted to the left of the steering wheel. This is the unit that "talks" to the Jeep computer. I looked under the dash and decided that I'd pay the dealer to install it. They did a very neat job.

Is this a proportional controllor? ie. one that varies it's output in proportion to the brake pedal pressure?

Thanks,
SF

denis4x4 04-21-2013 08:37 AM

Yes....$345 from the factory and another $50 for the mounting hardware and model specific wiring. Plugs into the Jeep computer and the trailer towing wiring plug. All trailer brake controllers are proportional. Some are just better than others.