Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Are all 2011 WK2 front brake pads the same size? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/are-all-2011-wk2-front-brake-pads-the-same-size-55598.html)

Chazmo 02-28-2013 03:11 PM

Are all 2011 WK2 front brake pads the same size?

I have a 2011 GC Overland with the 20" wheels. I think I heard the wear sensor this morning so I'm looking at brake options. I don't see any difference between a Laredo w/ V6 vs an Overland w/ V8.

Can anyone confirm?

I saw a set of Wagner ThermQuiet ceramic pads (PN QC1455) that looks like a good pad for short money.

Dabitz 02-28-2013 04:09 PM

Re: Are all 2011 WK2 front brake pads the same size?

I think they are unless you have HD Brakes. I am shopping for pads myself (45K miles) and was looking at the Hawks that Tirerack sells.

The Evil Twin 02-28-2013 05:05 PM

The front pads are all the same. From a 6 cyl Laredo to a 8 cyl Overland 8 with HD brakes. The difference is in the rotors and caliper mounts regarding HD/ non HD brakes.

J13ntv 02-28-2013 09:06 PM

^^^ as Evil Twin mentioned, I've also looked into it the pads are all the same between the models. Im at 33k and have about half my pad left but do feel brake vibration when braking and it feels like it takes more pedal to stop as fast now.

Chazmo 03-01-2013 11:24 AM

Thanks for the quick response!

Chazmo 03-05-2013 12:28 PM

I pulled the front wheels and found that I had about 50% of my pads left. But, there were some spots on the rotors - probably build up of braking material on the rotor. I put the wheels back on and called it a day.

The Evil Twin 03-05-2013 10:20 PM

You may still look into flushing the brake fluid though. It would probably help the pedal feel.

Dabitz 03-06-2013 12:21 PM

Is the caliper bolt covered by a rubber plug/cover? I got a bit confused when looking at the caliper trying to figure out how to open it. I asked this question before in other threads but nobody answered. I guess it must be a stupid question... :-)

The Evil Twin 03-14-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz (Post 774288)
Is the caliper bolt covered by a rubber plug/cover? I got a bit confused when looking at the caliper trying to figure out how to open it. I asked this question before in other threads but nobody answered. I guess it must be a stupid question... :-)

Didn't see this till now. Sorry.
The bleeder nipple is what is under the plug. Used for purging the brake fluid.

Jeep_addicted 03-25-2013 08:44 AM

Like the poster above stated both the front and rear brake pads from the Standard (BRY) and Heavy Duty (BR6) brakes are the same size. The difference is the rotor size the Standard used 330mm rotor and the Heavy Duty uses a 350mm rotors. that is the difference.

If anyone is planning to use HAWK brake pads make sure you pick up a tube of "loctite anti squeal" paste. The reason for this is because Hawks have a tendency to squeel and only use the LTS or HPS pads don't use the ceramic pads. The Ceramic blend hawks have poor performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz (Post 774288)

The caliper slider bolts are covered by rubber boots with plastic caps on the end.

I don't know exactly what size hex socket you need to take out the bolts.

I used a 10mm hex socket, while it worked it is still too small for a proper fit.