Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   need help with purchase? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/need-help-with-purchase-55636.html)

santos24 03-01-2013 12:43 PM

need help with purchase?

Now I don't know if this is the right thread to put this in, but I need help. I figured I would come right to the experts.

I have been trying to purchase a 07-08 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but my problem now is I don't know which one to get. My friend told me to look more for the 4.7 V8 instead of going for the 3.7 V6 because the V6 engine isn't how they use to be. According to my friend, he said the 3.7 V6 has alot of problems. He said I would be better off getting a 4.7 V8 model.

My question is what do you guys think I should do?

I have been researching like crazy for the past couple hours about both engines and I don't know what to do. I was so stuck on getting a V6 GC but now I don't know what to do.

Any help and suggestions would be great!

Lucas J 03-01-2013 01:26 PM

Re: need help with purchase?

One Word....HEMI

santos24 03-01-2013 01:28 PM

Ehh, I don't care for the HEMI. Especially times like this with gas. Basically, I want to know if the V6 is fine, because what I have been shows that no one has problems with it.

MAZ3 03-01-2013 01:58 PM

I have an 05' and have had no engine problems (67000 miles). I tow and offroad with it with no issues. I dont do hard core towing or offroading. I however will jump into a V8 next jeep I get but the 6 is good for now more than capable. My .02

Relwarc 03-01-2013 02:02 PM

From what I've read, the only difference is the power. The V6 doesn't get better mileage than the 4.7 V8. (they say it does on paper, but I got 18-20 in my 4.7)

I had the 4.7 and it had decent pep to it. I'd think the v6 would lack in the power department. Think about it, it's a heavy truck.

I'd just test drive both. merge on the highway with both. both engines have their "problems" neither is a "bad" call. It's all your preference.

Lucas J 03-01-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santos24 (Post 770538)
Ehh, I don't care for the HEMI. Especially times like this with gas. Basically, I want to know if the V6 is fine, because what I have been shows that no one has problems with it.

If you are concerned with gas prices then you answered your own question. The V8 isn't for you. I have the 3.7 in a KJ and IMO its under-powered for the WK. It's a great engine, I just wouldn't want it in a WK. The V8 is where its at and the difference in MPG between the 4.7 and the HEMI is minimal.

Blackout 03-01-2013 02:48 PM

I have a 4.7 and haven't had any problems. Honestly, I think it gets the job done....but barely. i haven't driven a 3.7, but I have a hard time imagining that. I'd prolly go with the Hemi if I had to redo it. My experience with Jeeps, if your honestly worried about MPG, then maybe you should get a Hybrid. I really like my Jeep, I think it's a great vehicle. Good luck!

daHEMI!! 03-01-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas J (Post 770536)
One Word....HEMI

+1 :thumbsup:

DannyVtCa 03-02-2013 09:42 PM

Hemi all the way, none of them get good milage. If you want good milage in an SUV you should get a patriot, Honda crv, rav 4, something small. I've never driven anything with less than 8 cylinders and OPEC or Obama can't force me to. I thought the HO version 4.7 they put into the WJ jeeps was pretty Badass... I dunno if they ever put the HO version in the wk jeeps

Bikemobile 03-05-2013 11:20 AM

I would get the hemi next time. The 4.7 or hemi will be a better all around engine matched to the weight of the wk. it has to do less work (torque) to move the vehicle around town and on the highway.

Im sure a v6 can be driven efficiently but the v8's will come with 4lo which may help with resale value.

Sigz 03-05-2013 11:46 PM

I have an 08 v6 with about 46k miles on the clock.

Have had zero problems thus far (knock on wood).

I'm not a speed demon by any means, and I consider my mpg pretty good:

City: 17-18
Highway: 22-24. (Highest I've ever gotten was 27.1mpg).

If you don't do any towing or off-roading, V6 is perfect for you (as it is for me).

DannyVtCa 03-06-2013 01:09 AM

Holy crap... City 17-18... Highway 22-24.... A hemi can't touch that! Maybe you should think about a v6