Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   HID problem...need solution (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/hid-problem-need-solution-5564.html)

Cattivo7 01-13-2010 07:27 PM

HID problem...need solution

Ok here's the deal...I installed Kensun 6000K HID's in my low beams and fog lights. The fogs work perfect, the low beams on the other hand have been nothing shy of a pain in the rump. :mad: At first I didn't have the relays so the headlights would flicker when they were turned on. When the relays finally came in I installed them and the flicker was gone with the lights on. But I noticed that the headlights would flicker when they were turned off. I replaced the balasts with another set that the manufacturer sent me free of charge and to my dismay the same thing happened. They work perfect when turned on but flicker when they are turned off. Anyone have any idea why this is? How could they flicker when turned off if there is no power going to them? I'm completely stumped, any insight is appreciated!!!

LTrainGC 01-13-2010 07:30 PM

Re: HID problem...need solution

Has something to do with the relay - something isn't hooked up correctly. I'd double check all your wiring and grounds.

I was having the same problem when I first installed mine and IIRC something wasn't connected properly.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 01-13-2010 09:59 PM

that would be a ground problem my friend the static has no where to escape at least from my knowledge of circuits ...

Great tip from Matt sand down the ground points and use metal bolts to tie them down ... check out his threa on the installation and let us know how it works for u ...

where and how do you have ur ground hooked ?

Cattivo7 01-13-2010 10:06 PM

the set up is a plug and play so I didn't have to ground anything myself. even the relays are plug and play. I've tried plugging them in in different ways but when I do that the lights don't go on at all leading me to believe I have them in the right way. Whats worse is it's not even just 1 light its both headlights. Normally I'm actually good with this kind of stuff but for some reason this has me stumped.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 01-13-2010 10:19 PM

hmm wait when you say plug n play did you use both original oem bulb connectors ???

photos might help us understand a little bro :)

i0r15 01-14-2010 07:48 AM

Plug and play relay harness??
Does your setup look like this?
http://www.hidxenonlights.com/myfile...arness9006.jpg
A relay harness HAS to be connected to batteries positive....and obviously needs a ground.
Some pics should make this easier to solve

saleen032 01-14-2010 08:24 AM

It shouldnt just be plug and play with the relay harness...That is the point..They dont use power from the light circuit to power the ballasts...they get power from the battery...Something is not right....

White WK Swagga 01-14-2010 10:22 AM

Does your ground go bact to the battery or grounded to the frame of the car?

Cattivo7 01-15-2010 07:56 AM

I'm going to try to take pictures this weekend. I'll keep you posted....thanks!

Cattivo7 01-17-2010 10:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok here are the pics of the harness. The first pic is of the wonderful instructions the lights came with. The second is of the harness in it's two pieces and of the relay. Finally the third is of it all connected together...the open end is where the shock bulb wiring connects. There are no other grounds, connections, etc...hence why I'm so confued as to why I'm having such problems with flickering when the lights are powered off. I just discovered three of the four balasts I have are dead too. :mad:

Matt 01-17-2010 10:17 AM

Cattivo7, I think you aren't quite sure what a relay harness is. It isn't the wiring and ballast assembly that you have pictured. It's an entirely separate wiring harness that has to manually (not plug and play) be grounded and connected to the battery (+) and obviously integrated to the ballast wiring.

I suggest you purchase a relay before you conclude that you have bad ballasts. I'm willing to bet it will solve all of your issues.

Cattivo7 01-17-2010 11:18 AM

Matt, not to sound combative but I am aware what a relay is. The small unit at the lower right end of the screen is the relay. I purchased it from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-pcs...Q5fAccessories

It isn't a relay in that it looks like some of the ones other have made but it is supposed to do the exact same thing. As for the balasts...unfortunately they are dead. They won't fire the lights up with or without that anti flicker relay. The fourth one does. like I said I'm not being combative, I'm just frustrated with these lights already. Something this simple shouldn't be this complicated.