Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Any issues with remote start? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/any-issues-with-remote-start-5565.html)

Sodelcustoms 01-13-2010 07:38 PM

Any issues with remote start?

Hey guys. I don't know if anyone is from the DE area but it's getting COLD! Snow twice in the last week. Might not be much but still it's enough to make me cringe at the thought of going outside to start my truck in the morning. Long story short I researched some autostart systems and stumbled upon a viper one. Question is, has anyone installed one of these in a wj and had any problems? I know that the security on these things is a b#$% to get around. I had problems with the SKIM when switching the engine out on the thing. I'm trying to find out if I can just patch one of these things in or if I'm going to need some kind of security interface.

Sodelcustoms 01-13-2010 08:42 PM

Re: Any issues with remote start?

It's a Viper 160 XVL if that helps.

apstang50 01-13-2010 09:13 PM

When I had one put in my niner that has the factory alarm, they had to put an iterface thing in so it would work with the factory alarm. The only PITA is I need to unlock it before starting it or the alarm will go off while it's trying to start.

sikrsix 01-15-2010 01:09 PM

Do you have a gray or a black ignition key. Black you need nothing unless you want keyless entry, gray you need a security bypass. Hope that helps a little.

White Chocolate 01-15-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikrsix (Post 132952)
Do you have a gray or a black ignition key. Black you need nothing unless you want keyless entry, gray you need a security bypass. Hope that helps a little.

not true, the jeep needs a bypass, for it to work properly. I just had one installed.

EDIT: I just noticed this is in the WJ forum, sorry I take back my statement, I have no idea about WJ

Sodelcustoms 01-15-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikrsix (Post 132952)

I have both:confused:

sikrsix 01-15-2010 06:14 PM

Black key.- non chipped

Gray - chipped key

The black shouldn't work or the gray was an expensive key u don't need.

Sodelcustoms 01-15-2010 06:27 PM

Its just what I got with the car. I think they may both be chipped? They both are recognized for the seat set.

Chuck 01-15-2010 08:09 PM

I have remote start and its great. I bought the truck with it so I'm not sure what model but it is a Clifford alarm. Be sure to buy a lot of triple A batteries if your remote uses it, my remote eats them for breakfast.

Sodelcustoms 01-16-2010 11:30 PM

I was wrong they are both grey keys

sikrsix 01-18-2010 02:36 PM

Then you will need a security bypass for your install. The remote start units dont come with them. Find the brand you want to use (or your installer likes to use) then find the security bypass for that brand and your jeep.

Sodelcustoms 01-18-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikrsix (Post 134269)
Then you will need a security bypass for your install. The remote start units dont come with them. Find the brand you want to use (or your installer likes to use) then find the security bypass for that brand and your jeep.

Thanks man. Gonna do the install myself if I end up doing it. I was going to contact viper and see what they have to offer but they don't have a phone number on their site. Go figure.