Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   rear facing car seat? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rear-facing-car-seat-55690.html)

husker_fan 03-02-2013 01:33 PM

rear facing car seat?

I am looking at getting a 2013 grand cherokee, I have a friend that used to have a 2006 grand cherokee and said he couldn't fit a rear facing car seat and had to trade it in. Can anyone chime in?

JTS97Z28 03-02-2013 01:52 PM

Re: rear facing car seat?

We had rear facing in our 2012 Overland. I first tried it in the center and I didn't like it there. Not only did it require you to move both front seats up further, but it restricted you from laying down both rear seats incase you wanted to haul something. I then tried it on the passenger side and this position is MUCh better. It allows me to position my drivers seat anywhere I want since I'm taller than my wife. And it also allows the one side of the rear seat to still be laid down without having to remove the child seat. The only drawback is that the passenger side seat must be moved up a bit, but it's by no means too far forward. So yes a rear facing child seat will work just fine in a WK2 and works optimally behind the passenger side front seat. Once we were able to switch to forward facing it was sooooo much nicer, but we waited for just over a year before we did that.
Hope this helps.

James

SMG1 03-02-2013 03:37 PM

I agree with everything JTS97Z28 said. Here's a pic of the rear facing seat in mine for good measure:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/03/mujuzepy.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

jamesdomagalski 03-02-2013 10:45 PM

I have a Britax rear facing in the center of my 2011 Overland. It fits ok. I don't have the problem with seat spacing and have not had a need to put the seats down. It would be a minor hassle to take it out since it is held in with the latch system. I can't wait to turn the seat forward facing.

highoctane 03-03-2013 01:39 AM

I have a rear facing seat in the center of my Laredo. I'm 6'3" and I move the seat back plenty for leg room. No issues with the baby seat. I use the latch system. Worst case, if you need to lay the seat down, move the seat base to one side, and lay the other side of the seat down for cargo. I've done that. I just buckled the baby seat in the seat belt instead, on the smaller half of the rear seat.

GunninIt 03-03-2013 10:52 PM

Good info to know, since I'm looking at 1) my first JGC, and 2) my first child. Jeep will be coming in the next couple weeks, I hope. Child in the next few months!

DirtyMark 03-04-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunninIt (Post 772217)
Good info to know, since I'm looking at 1) my first JGC, and 2) my first child. Jeep will be coming in the next couple weeks, I hope. Child in the next few months!

Congrats! I'm in the same boat except I already have my JGC!

Jdsmitty10 03-04-2013 06:04 AM

I have three car seats in mine. One is rear facing. The front passenger seat has to come up pretty far to fit but my wife is only 5'4" and she is usually the only one who rides there.. Only a couple months and my youngest will be flipped to forward facing and I am glad about that because of the front passenger leg room. Sometimes I have to squeeze in there if the wifey is my DD for a night...

amr40509 03-04-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highoctane (Post 771559)
I have a rear facing seat in the center of my Laredo. I'm 6'3" and I move the seat back plenty for leg room. No issues with the baby seat. I use the latch system. Worst case, if you need to lay the seat down, move the seat base to one side, and lay the other side of the seat down for cargo. I've done that. I just buckled the baby seat in the seat belt instead, on the smaller half of the rear seat.

Are you sure you have center LATCH? I looked in the 2014 manual (that's what I'm ordering this week to replace my Pathfinder) and it doesn't allow center LATCH, only sides. We have a 2 year old and another one on the way in Aug. so I was checking it out before ordering.

That said, my Pathfinder doesn't have LATCH in the center either, it hasn't been a big deal to use the seat belt in the center.

Anyone out there happen to be using a rear facing infant seat and a forward facing convertible at the same time...I guess I'm about to be.

white6.4 03-04-2013 09:02 AM

Great thread, we are expecting our first in August, and are in the market for a rear facing seat, Great info

mka18 03-04-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amr40509 (Post 772381)
Are you sure you have center LATCH? I looked in the 2014 manual (that's what I'm ordering this week to replace my Pathfinder) and it doesn't allow center LATCH, only sides. We have a 2 year old and another one on the way in Aug. so I was checking it out before ordering.

That said, my Pathfinder doesn't have LATCH in the center either, it hasn't been a big deal to use the seat belt in the center.

Anyone out there happen to be using a rear facing infant seat and a forward facing convertible at the same time...I guess I'm about to be.

Recaro Pro Ride Euro convertible behind the passenger and Graco infant seat in the middle. No Latch System in the middle of my 2012. Both rear facing at the current time but will turn around just fine to forward facing in another year.

JTS97Z28 03-04-2013 09:45 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can't use the latch system in the middle seat as I don't even think the latches are there anyway. Atleast that's what I remember. Either way it worked sooo much better behind the passenger side front seat and that say I get to use the latch system which seems much better IMO. We use the Diono Radian seats. One in my car and one in the wife's. They aren't cheap but one of the best from my understanding.