Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Add USB power to enable HDMI converter for LOCKPICK with Iphone 5 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/add-usb-power-to-enable-hdmi-converter-for-lockpick-with-iphone-5-a-55703.html)

gaidin43 03-02-2013 03:31 PM

Add USB power to enable HDMI converter for LOCKPICK with Iphone 5

So I am trying to find the best way to add an additional powered USB port. I don't need it to be able to communicate with the radio, I just need the power from it to power this converter. Once this is connected I will be able to mirror my iphone or ipad to my Jeep's radio using the RCA ports on my Lockpick.

I am thinking of using a power tap to the current cigarette lighter cable that is under the radio and adding a step down 12v - 5v USB port. However, I am tryingto find the best way to do this. I know I could get a DC cigerette spliter and just plug a USB cig converter in it, but this adds a lot of bulk and extra parts to something that should be a simple tap and go.

Anyone have suggestions for powered step down 12v dc to 5v dc USB ports?

Amazon.com: Etekcity Mini HDMI to AV Composite RCA CVBS Video + Audio Converter For TV PS3 VHS VCR DVD: Electronics

Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Lightning to HDMI - Apple Store (U.S.)

*sox* 03-02-2013 04:20 PM

Re: Add USB power to enable HDMI converter for LOCKPICK with Iphone 5

the iphone 5 have no Video out function!

gaidin43 03-02-2013 04:25 PM

Yes it does ..... Directly from apple website.

"AirPlay mirroring and video out to Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation)
Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p through Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)"
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

There are YouTube videos showing this works as well. I know it can work I am just looking for a simple solution for a fivefold USB powered port.

*sox* 03-02-2013 04:43 PM

yes airplay this are wireless Streaming to the apple tv box and this are connect with hdmi to the tv.

then you must install also the apple tv box :-)

gaidin43 03-02-2013 05:19 PM

No people there is a new av out lighting adaptor to HDMI!!!! I am trying to find the power opinions to power the HDMI converter.

If it helps forget about the mirroring and just focus on adding a USB powered port!!

CPT2010 03-02-2013 05:54 PM

Amazon.com: HDMI to 3 RCA + VGA Cable M/M 1.8m/6ft: Electronics

gaidin43 03-02-2013 06:06 PM

HDMI to RCA doesn't work.... The output from the iPhone will be digital and the RCA cables are analog hence the need for the converter. Forget about the iPhone, the mirroring, the lock pick even and just focus on a streamline solution to add a 5vdc USB powered put behind the dash while tapping a 12vdc line. I would tap a 5vdc one if I knew there was one behind there.

CPT2010 03-02-2013 07:28 PM

Universal USB 12 Volt Adapter

and open this up and tap into the wires behind it

CPT2010 03-02-2013 07:29 PM

or get this to tap into it.
Female Cigarette Plug Harness: BatteryMart.com
and then plug in the 12 volt adapter

eibyer 03-02-2013 07:45 PM

I was going to use this as a guide to get 5v to the same hdmi to rca converter you linked in the earlier post.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1380462/ho...#post_23026533

Instead of reassembling it though, I was going to put it inside a small enclosure. My goal was to mirror my android to the stock screen and play netflix on road trips :)

gaidin43 03-02-2013 08:08 PM

I am looking not to have so many different moving parts, the 12v female cig adaptor, to cig usb plug, to cord. I have set it up this way in the past and had an issue with it twice over the 9 years I had my truck with the XM radio hooked up to it.

This solution looks like an almost perfect fit!!!

Small all in line from the 12vdc tap, right to the usb plug and the correct size for the converter....... humm i wonder.

Amazon.com: DURAGADGET Hard Wired Mini Usb Cable / Transformer: GPS & Navigation

Also, now that I found the exact wording I need to search for I found these options as well.

Amazon.com: DC/DC Converter 12V Step Down to 5V 3A Power Supply Module: Electronics

Amazon.com: Axxess Interface AFDI-5V Ford 12V to 5V Step Down: Electronics

Amazon.com: 12V DC USB Converter, 10-32VDC In, 5VDC 1A USB Out: Electronics

My next issue is finding the right size wire tap for the leads heading into the cig adapter under the radio as that will be my source of power.

And since the converter says it is low power I am hoping 1A will be enough from the 5v. I can't seem to find the spec for input power for the converter anywhere.

CLStech 03-02-2013 09:10 PM

The converter you posted is composite to HDMI...

Need to track down a HDMI to composite converter. HDMI to component is common but slightly illegal as the devices usually break HDCP compliance...

Hopefully you can find a HDMI to composite adapter... Or did you already find that?