Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Hemi spark plug change interval? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/hemi-spark-plug-change-interval-55719.html)

gc4x4 03-02-2013 07:27 PM

Hemi spark plug change interval?

couple questions,I was wondering when the plugs need to be changed on my 2011 Hemi? My dealer told me they need changing at 30k miles. My jeep currently has 26k miles, Should i go ahead and have them changed now or wait till 30k miles? Is this a DIY job or should i let the dealer do it? What else needs to be done at 30k miles? sorry if this has been answered before.:rolleyes:

Jackspat2 03-02-2013 08:39 PM

Re: Hemi spark plug change interval?

I'd look at your maintenance manual but I highly doubt you need to perform this work. I think most spark plugs last 110k miles....could be wrong because I don't own a jeep yet.

Uncle Paul 03-02-2013 08:41 PM

All in the glove box book. Frequency of oil and air filters depends on your driving conditions. Spark plugs are a significant item. You will need 16 of them. It is DIY, but a couple plugs are buggers. Easiest with some special tools.

rich mac 03-02-2013 10:41 PM

Maintenance manual says to change the plugs on the hemi at 32k miles or 24 months. When my time comes, I'm having the dealer do it.

The Evil Twin 03-03-2013 09:32 AM

Not sure why they list a time interval on the plugs. They don't go bad in 2 years :lol:
Here is a great DIY on the process:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/diy-h...nge-50750.html
So easy a caveman can do it. Just make sure you use a torque wrench, as I believe the heads are aluminum.

bill_de 03-03-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Evil Twin (Post 771640)
Not sure why they list a time interval on the plugs. They don't go bad in 2 years :lol:
Here is a great DIY on the process:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/diy-h...nge-50750.html
So easy a caveman can do it. Just make sure you use a torque wrench, as I believe the heads are aluminum.

Could the 2year thing be more about making sure they don't get corroded in place on the outside, rather than breaking down inside?

---

daventx 03-03-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackspat2 (Post 771423)
I'd look at your maintenance manual but I highly doubt you need to perform this work. I think most spark plugs last 110k miles....could be wrong because I don't own a jeep yet.

this is more of what i was thinking. though i have not owned a jeep yet, to change spark plugs out at 30k miles seems odd. i've owned mustangs my whole life and they will last 80k to 100k miles depending on the type of plug. Sounds like its the copper being used in the Hemi that would cause this.

Why not use iridium then, a better product? i put those in the mustang and not a single issue so far.

The Evil Twin 03-03-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 771642)
Could the 2year thing be more about making sure they don't get corroded in place on the outside, rather than breaking down inside?

---

:confused: Never thought about it that way. I doubt it though, the engine compartment is pretty well sealed up and the coil pack boots are also sealed pretty well. It very well could be because that is the way the manual is set up: miles & time on the same page. Instead of having a miles schedule and a time schedule. Very good question! If I think about it, I'll send an email to Jeep and ask.
Quote:

Originally Posted by daventx (Post 771712)
this is more of what i was thinking. though i have not owned a jeep yet, to change spark plugs out at 30k miles seems odd. i've owned mustangs my whole life and they will last 80k to 100k miles depending on the type of plug. Sounds like its the copper being used in the Hemi that would cause this.

Why not use iridium then, a better product? i put those in the mustang and not a single issue so far.

My Subaru was 36k for the plugs. I don't question it. I just do it.
FWIW, there are many discussions on the board regarding the recommendation to stick with the OEM style (copper core) plugs and stick to the schedule. It's a fairly easy thing to do and not crazy expensive either. Considering what we pay for fuel and the (lack of) fuel efficiency in the Hemi, $100 for plugs is less than 2 tanks of fuel. We didn't buy the 5.7 GC because it was cost effective to operate ;)

BadAssAltitude 03-03-2013 12:57 PM

Manual stats to change spark plugs at 32000 miles for te HEMI, for the 3.6 i think its at a 100k

dubwarren 03-03-2013 01:10 PM

Considering what we pay for fuel and the (lack of) fuel efficiency in the Hemi, $100 for plugs is less than 2 tanks of fuel. We didn't buy the 5.7 GC because it was cost effective to operate ;)[/QUOTE]

Considering taking my Hemi to the dealer for this work, if its $100-150 for the job I have no problem. If its $300-400 I'm doing it myself. Anyone know what dealers generally get to perform the plug change?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

peckmv 03-03-2013 09:05 PM

The plugs on the hemi need to be changed every 30k miles. Its all in the manual. The reason is they are copper core and they will wear in that time period. The high mileage plugs are made of platinum or iridum. The hemi requires the copper core plugs.;)

BuckeyeSRT 03-03-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubwarren (Post 771788)
Considering what we pay for fuel and the (lack of) fuel efficiency in the Hemi, $100 for plugs is less than 2 tanks of fuel. We didn't buy the 5.7 GC because it was cost effective to operate ;)

Considering taking my Hemi to the dealer for this work, if its $100-150 for the job I have no problem. If its $300-400 I'm doing it myself. Anyone know what dealers generally get to perform the plug change?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Where are you spending $100 for at 16 plugs?:eek: