Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Water in Battery Box (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/water-in-battery-box-55737.html)

Ross51 03-03-2013 04:50 AM

Water in Battery Box

Had a sloshing sound at low speed and when removing plugs under battery box, drained about a liter of water. I have seen notes here about leaks due to sunroof and a/c drains being kinked not positioned etc. however, in my case there is no sign of carpet dampness ( on either side of car). Draining water eliminated sloshing sound completely.

I am assuming that water therefore got in through plugs as I cannot see any other way for water to enter the box. The battery vent pipe is in place as well.
I had been traveling through heavy rain prior to this but not through water ponds or deep water. Can that much water really get through these plugs or does anyone have other Ideas on a source?

Vehicle is 2012 Overland Export RHD model with battery therefore under drivers seat. I will eventually give the dealer a challenge if no-one has a good idea.

The Evil Twin 03-03-2013 09:03 AM

Re: Water in Battery Box

It is probably because you are upside down over there :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I would think that if water got in through the plugs, it would also drain out that way as well. Seeing as it is pooling in there, and you had to remove a plug, tells me it came from above. The only suggestion I could make is to stick a garden sprinkler underneath the GC and run it for 10 minutes or so. If it is then wet in the battery box you know it is from under the vehicle. Alternatively, you can run it through a car wash (go for the basic wash- no undercarriage blaster) and then check it out. That would rule out A/C drainage provided you didn't run the A/C on the way to the wash.

Ross51 03-03-2013 11:22 PM

Like the garden sprinkler idea. The a/c drain is on opposite ie left hand side is it not?
Thanks.

The Evil Twin 03-04-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross51 (Post 772229)
Like the garden sprinkler idea. The a/c drain is on opposite ie left hand side is it not?
Thanks.

To be honest, I don't know. I would assume that since you have right hand drive that it would be. Is your battery under the right front seat where it is here in the USA?

jacko15 03-04-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross51 (Post 772229)
Thanks.

Check this post: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/slosh...tml#post755200

GlennR 03-05-2013 11:10 PM

Any leads that mention sloshing sound behind the dashboard? I've got a fish-tank behind mine, yet the carpet & battery boxes are dry. Checked the pano roof gutters and AC drain (which drains between the outlet of the AC plug and the heatshield....heat shields are saturated...) and all seem to be OK. Wonder if water has got in through the intake by the windshield under the hood? Anyway, no sign of a fix yet and there must be a few pints sloshing around. Also noticing there is a witness line appearing in my overland "leather" dash where the airbag is installed. I wonder if the dash is starting to swell?

jacko15 03-05-2013 11:20 PM

Dash wetness is often a sign of a windshield leak. Just grasping at straws here.

Ross51 03-09-2013 01:07 AM

For completeness here is the answer I found to this issue to maybe help someone else.
I checked sunroof drain with water as per TSB and found almost no water out and water in the battery box again. Again no apparent wet carpet or anything.
Started looking at the TSB on water leaks and the parts manual on WK2 and note that the pipe runs down the A pillar and down behind dash so guessing it is meant to go through firewall somewhere. Sure enough when I got under dash up near accelerator mount (this is a RHD car) I could see pipe with a powerful small torch looking up. Traced pipe down to just above accelerator mount and found pipe open with the grommet not fitted in and an open hole in firewall. Wonderful QA, Jeep! Bit of manipulation to fit grommet in hole with pipe in it.
Test with water in sunroof drain again. Water now under car and none in battery box so fixed and issue was that grommet not fitted properly in assembly. I had not seen a problem to date because I had not been through heavy rain since purchasing car.

Edit. Water had got to battery box under carpet and false floor. Lifted carpet and felt underlay was soaking wet. Carpet only felt dry because of plastic backing so a watch out for others. All dried out now so hopefully ok from here.

jacko15 03-09-2013 10:49 AM

Really glad to hear you were able to resolve this issue without too much of a problem. Water leaks can be a real pain in the a**. Seems like drainage connections have been problematic for a number of owners. Looks like Jeep might want to step up their QA on these types of problems.