Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   No brakes- caution (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/no-brakes-caution-55770.html)

Gabs 03-03-2013 08:19 PM

No brakes- caution

Had an incident today where I had to use my brakes pretty hard to avoid and accident. ABS kicked in and initially did its job but after that the brake pedal went rock hard and would struggle to pull up car even when crawling. This became a real scary problem as I am now in traffic with little to no brakes and even with my foot hard on the brakes the car was edging forward. I am now with out a car at least for the next 2 days as the dealer I got towed to is to busy to look at it and if I want my servicing dealer who are able to look at it straight away I will be $180 out of pocket as neither Chrysler Jeep or Jeep assist will pay for the car to be towed there. I struggle to see why I should be out of pocket for a breakdown in a warranty period that clearly should be ringing some serious concerns in someone’s head at Chrysler Jeep as it could have ended in loss of life, injury or the least of my concerns panel damage. I hate to think what could have happened if it was yesterday doing 100ks on the Hwy with my boat on the back and family in the car after a day out??

allypally 03-03-2013 10:39 PM

Re: No brakes- caution

Suggest you call Customer Service 1300 133079 and tell them how unhappy you are. and request they supply you with a loan car whilst your's is off the road. Also demand an explanation of what happened to the breaking system.

Gabs 03-03-2013 11:52 PM

Allypally I cant tell you how much I voiced my concerns and how unhappy I am about their lack of flexibility and customer service. The response I got is summed up by it is what it is and we cant or wont change it.They wont even talk about a loan car until the dealer can tell how long its going to take. So 2 days without a car then for them to check it out and have to wait god knows how long as going by other stories on this site they never seem to have the parts.

Scottina06 03-04-2013 12:53 AM

sounds like the brake booster hose blew off

GMWK2 03-04-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

They wont even talk about a loan car
I had the same experience when the idler pully let go on mine.

Wasn't a major drama for me as my company has pool cars and I just took one of those for a few days, but it left a bad taste.

When my previous Holdens, I had 3 over 10 years, were off the road for whatevery reason there was always a loaner available - no questions. A loan car is something I have put away in the memory banks for when I am negotiating the deal on my next vehicle.

Swampy 03-04-2013 11:48 PM

Gabs

Thats pretty scary.

Please keep us informed as to what the issue was so that we can possibly check our vehicles, particularly if it is a brake booster hose or something like that.

However, if it is was creeping forward while stationary in drive, foot hard on the brake, it certainly sounds like something more sinister.

GlennR 03-05-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampy (Post 773125)
Gabs

Thats pretty scary.

Please keep us informed as to what the issue was so that we can possibly check our vehicles, particularly if it is a brake booster hose or something like that.

However, if it is was creeping forward while stationary in drive, foot hard on the brake, it certainly sounds like something more sinister.

New master cylinder fixed my son's JK with the exact same occurance....nearly "crept" through a car park barrier with foot hard on the brakes. Good luck and I hope the part is available ASAP to get you back on the road.

Gabs 03-05-2013 05:39 AM

Credit to the dealer they pulled all stops out to diagnose the problem after initially being told it would be 2 days before they would look at it. It has been diagnosed as a brake booster fail? As suspected Nil stock of part in Australia and best case scenario 2 weeks worst 4 weeks. I struggle to understand with the popularity of this vehicle why any part you want will be a min of 2 weeks and how in todays day and age of logistics why anything should take that long. I thought Port Melbourne was going to resolve the lack of spares issues. Now I am awaiting for Fiat Chrysler to come back to me and let me know if they will give me a loan car. There goes the long weekend trip as I have nothing to tow the boat and the Easter trip is looking shaky for the moment. Not to mention how I am going to get around doing my job without a car that can cary my parts and work tools as required by my employer. I am not looking forward to that conversation tomorrow.

GlennR 03-05-2013 05:59 AM

Gabs, don't want to spook you, but the new JK with the same fault as yours was diagnosed as a brake booster first go around. 2-3 weeks to source the part from the US didn't fix the fault then we had to wait a further 2-3 weeks for the master cylinder to arrive that finally fixed the fault....total of 5 weeks and the car off the road for most of that period. You might want to double check the diagnosis. Hoping your service centre is correct with the booster but it might pay to make sure they have got the diagnosis correct. Good luck.

Gabs 03-05-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 773204)
Gabs, don't want to spook you, but the new JK with the same fault as yours was diagnosed as a brake booster first go around. 2-3 weeks to source the part from the US didn't fix the fault then we had to wait a further 2-3 weeks for the master cylinder to arrive that finally fixed the fault....total of 5 weeks and the car off the road for most of that period. You might want to double check the diagnosis. Hoping your service centre is correct with the booster but it might pay to make sure they have got the diagnosis correct. Good luck.

Yeah that thought has been running through my head since I read your post. I will speak to the service centre tomorrow and mention it.

Swampy 03-05-2013 07:30 AM

Its a shame in situations like this that items can't be sent air freight, however Chrysler Jeep U.S. and also Chrysler Jeep Australia certainly wouldn't want to pay for it out of their own pockets. They probably wouldn't have a mechanism for air freight anyway. Everything would just have to go through the normal shipping process.....

Good luck with the possibility of getting a loaner.

exlr8 03-05-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabs (Post 773201)
I struggle to understand with the popularity of this vehicle why any part you want will be a min of 2 weeks and how in todays day and age of logistics why anything should take that long.

I completely agree. With the number of these cars sold in Aust now you would think any spare should be available within a few days. I really don't understand why CJD Aust do not have stock (of virtually all parts) here.