Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Paddle shifters, just a novelty or useful tool? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/paddle-shifters-just-a-novelty-or-useful-tool-55850.html)

doulos4JC 03-04-2013 09:50 PM

Paddle shifters, just a novelty or useful tool?

Talk to me....

RageOfFury 03-04-2013 09:57 PM

I had them on a 2007 Honda Fit. It was fun from time to time. More of a gimmick though. Probably the same on the 2014 GC.

adamchrtrnd 03-04-2013 10:34 PM

Re: Paddle shifters, just a novelty or useful tool?

I agree with RageOfFury, fun from time to time, but not as functional as you would expect.

moosehead 03-04-2013 10:35 PM

Nice to keep hands on the wheel while downshifting on descents of snowy mountain passes or highways. While it isn't a true performance shifter, it is useful for downshift slowing of a heavy rig in sketchy conditions.

bill_de 03-04-2013 10:40 PM

I generally put it in D and go. But I do play with the paddles on my MDX once in awhile.

jacko15 03-04-2013 10:50 PM

I guess with electronic shifting it's not a costly item to add, but looks good on the features list.

a990dna 03-05-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 773068)
nice to keep hands on the wheel while downshifting on descents of snowy mountain passes or highways. While it isn't a true performance shifter, it is useful for downshift slowing of a heavy rig in sketchy conditions.

+1

They show the use of the paddles while climbing 50 degree inclines.

BobsWK2 03-05-2013 02:12 AM

The paddles on the SRT rev match when downshifting. I doubt the ones in the other models do it. I had them on my previous 2010 M3 Coupe with DCT (trans) and they worked great on that car. Of course, on the M3, that trans option cost a lot.

77Cherokee 03-05-2013 10:47 AM

My wife's Malibu has paddle shifters. The problem with them is that as you make a turn the paddles become impossible to operate until the wheel comes back to the normal driving position. I like the downshift control of the transmission stick much better. It is always right there when you want to use it, not upside down or at some awkward position. Just my opinion. :)

jdc311 03-05-2013 10:54 AM

I had them on an old Acura TL Type S that was geared more toward performance, and I still rarely used them. I can't see myself using them on the GC either, although maybe I would to stay out of the highest gears in bad weather.

My current F150 has a button on the side of the shifter where you can essentially lock out certain gears, and I find that much more suitable than paddle shifters.

padgett 03-05-2013 12:27 PM

Flappy paddles are useful in a F1 car where you can barely move your arms, need total road concentration, and 60 degrees of wheel input is A Lot so hands never move.

On a GC they just mean the six buttons for the entertainment system on the back of the '11-'13 wheel had to move "elsewhere".

On a mountain road I have no problem slapping the shifter so the paddles would be as useful as the steering column buttons on a '59 Edsel.

Just for S&G how about a lever for the left knee ? It's just a brace for most.

jacko15 03-05-2013 03:22 PM

Like I said earlier, the paddles are there because it was easy to do, and other manufacturers are doing it. I can't see getting a whole lot of use out of them. I learned to drive with, and for many years owned cars with manual floor mounted gearshifts. Now I mostly own cars with auto shifters on the floor. I've become so used to driving with my right hand resting on the floor shifter that I'm concerned how the slap-shifter in the '14 is going to work out. Could be a sea change for me. Old dog, new tricks. Hope I adapt gracefully!