Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rear Ended (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rear-ended-55856.html)

adamchrtrnd 03-04-2013 10:30 PM

Rear Ended
 
8 Attachment(s)
I was rear ended on January 31st. Here are the photos! Jeep is still in the shop! I am wondering if anyone would know what the diminished value could end up being?

akimball 03-04-2013 10:31 PM

Re: Rear Ended
 
wow man that sucks! looks like they got you good.

adamchrtrnd 03-04-2013 10:32 PM

Re: Rear Ended
 
He hit me going about 25. I was stopped.

gwnewman1 03-04-2013 10:52 PM

Re: Rear Ended
 
What hit you, Bigfoot? That's a healthy amount of damage for that slow of a speed. Glad you're ok!

adamchrtrnd 03-04-2013 10:56 PM

Re: Rear Ended
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwnewman1 (Post 773081)
What hit you, Bigfoot? That's a healthy amount of damage for that slow of a speed. Glad you're ok!

LOL. Thanks - glad I am ok too. I was hit by a Dodge Ram 2500.

gwnewman1 03-04-2013 10:59 PM

Re: Rear Ended
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamchrtrnd (Post 773085)
LOL. Thanks - glad I am ok too. I was hit by a Dodge Ram 2500.

That'll do it. I swore when I bought my '12 that if someone hit it anything close to when I bought it, I'd try my damnest to get it totaled. I saw in your pics the front end was apart too...did you get forced into the car in front of you?

adamchrtrnd 03-04-2013 11:06 PM

Re: Rear Ended
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwnewman1 (Post 773090)
That'll do it. I swore when I bought my '12 that if someone hit it anything close to when I bought it, I'd try my damnest to get it totaled. I saw in your pics the front end was apart too...did you get forced into the car in front of you?

I went bac and forth with trying to decide if I wanted to fight with the at fault insurance company with totaling the Jeep. I just think I would have been worse off financially if that was the case, but I could never know for sure. I got such a good deal on this vehicle. MSRP was 42k I purchased it for 34,200.

I was pushed into the car in front of me and somehow my radiator got punctured.

a990dna 03-04-2013 11:57 PM

Re: Rear Ended
 
Wow.. I was sandwiched like that once and my car was totaled. Too late for that now, but some coaching could have got you replacement cost - not what you paid for it.

The first thing to remember is never release a vehicle to an insurance company without a firm agreement on the settlement value - and it needs to be in writing.

Every day it sits in an impound yard, it costs them $50... not to mention the rental car costs. It adds up quick and they will be motivated to negotiate...

I had three people on my side... a personal friend that worked for Mercury Insurance as a claims adjuster, a defense attorney that litigated claims filed against Mercury and body shop owner that knew the ins and outs of dealing with a totaled vehicle. I wasn't insured by Mercury nor was the driver that hit me, so there were no conflicts of interest.

With that much damage, after the repairs are done, do not release the insurance company of liability for future mechanical problems - this could go on for years.

That's why most insurance companies will total the vehicle.

Diminished value... I would retain a third party to establish. You can contact professional appraisers that will provide you with an estimate and submit that to the insurance company as part of the settlement.

Again, do not accept or release the vehicle without all this negotiated up front.

Good luck with it ...

.

adamchrtrnd 03-05-2013 12:00 AM

Re: Rear Ended
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by a990dna (Post 773126)
Wow.. I was sandwiched like that once and my car was totaled. Too late for that now, but some coaching could have got you replacement cost - not what you paid for it.

The first thing to remember is never release a vehicle to an insurance company without a firm agreement on the settlement value - and it needs to be in writing.

Every day it sits in an impound yard, it costs them $50. It adds up quick and they will be motivated to negotiate...

I had three people on my side... a personal friend that worked for Mercury Insurance as a claims adjuster, a defense attorney that litigated claims filed against Mercury and body shop owner that knew the ins and outs of dealing with a totaled vehicle. I wasn't insured by Mercury nor was the driver that hit me, so there was no conflicts of interest.

With that much damage, after the repairs are done, do not release the insurance company of liability for future mechanical problems - this could go on for years.

That's why most insurance companies will total the vehicle.

Diminished value... I would retain a third party to establish. You can contact professional appraisers that will provide you with an estimate and submit that to the insurance company as part of the settlement.

Again, do not accept or release the vehicle without all this negotiated up front.

Good luck with it ...

.

Thank you for the information. Once the vehicle is completed with the repairs am I able to still not accept it until a diminished value claim and settlement is achieved?

a990dna 03-05-2013 12:41 AM

Re: Rear Ended
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamchrtrnd (Post 773130)
Thank you for the information. Once the vehicle is completed with the repairs am I able to still not accept it until a diminished value claim and settlement is achieved?

If you do accept, then it will be an uphill battle. I would play nice with them and see where they stand on that issue. They could say you'll be responsible for the daily costs if you don't accept.

However, I would operate ten steps ahead and see how they respond now to your estimated costs. If they start declining your requests, then you should retain an attorney for future medical and sue them for policy limits.

Also, you may be able to use your own auto insurance to get what you need using uninsured motorist. I've done this before with zero repercussions. It took an attorney to process, but that's what I had to do to get reimbursed. A drunk driver broadsided my friends car - on my side, I was sitting shotgun.

I'd rather not have been in those situations... that's why we have insurance.

.

adamchrtrnd 03-05-2013 12:42 AM

Re: Rear Ended
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by a990dna (Post 773150)
If you do accept, then it will be an uphill battle. I would play nice with them and see where they stand on that issue. They could say you'll be responsible for the daily costs if you don't accept.

However, I would operate ten steps ahead and see how they respond now to your estimated costs. If they start declining your requests, then you should retain an attorney for future medical and sue them for policy limits.

Also, you may be able to use your own auto insurance to get what you need using uninsured motorist. I've done this before with zero repercussions. It took an attorney to process, but that's what I had to do to get reimbursed. A drunk driver broadsided my friends car - on my side, I was sitting shotgun.

I'd rather not have been in those situations... that's why we have insurance.

.

Good information to know. I appreciate it.

mka18 03-05-2013 01:53 AM

Re: Rear Ended
 
I was rear ended by a minivan going faster than that a while back. Not near the damage and listed as minor on the carfax. Just traded in and got a value maybe 1k under what I should have I feel. I ended up getting a 750 dollar hush money check after some pushing so I feel I did come out ok.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community