Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Plastdipping the whole jeep?! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/plastdipping-the-whole-jeep-55864.html)

bematare 03-05-2013 09:14 AM

Plastdipping the whole jeep?!

Hey guys, been a while since I posted here.. but going to start coming back to the community :-)

Well I've been youtubing lately and I came across this video: PlastiDip a WHOLE CAR - How-to by DipYourCar.com - YouTube

... and I've got a new idea! I'm going to plastidip my 01 Jeep WJ to a dark grey matte/gloss finish.. my originial paint isn't too bad but my jeep is hitting the grave soon.. getting close to 200,000miles, and I don't even think I'll make it that far :-P

Thoughts? anyone done a project this big, any tips you can suggest? I'm excited will def, give my Jeep a new look... and I can cover up some of the rust I've got :-P

Going to do some other things; paint all brake calipers red, and my emblems.. maybe add a strip of red vinyl along the cladding, or CF.. :lol:

bematare 03-05-2013 09:15 AM

Re: Plastdipping the whole jeep?!

Also I found this thread, looks pretty neat!
DIY - PlastiDip Your Whole Car - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com

JustDontBlink 04-22-2013 09:46 AM

I'm in the same boat man. I have an 01 WJ with +150,000 and I want to do a dark blue satin matte paint with some halos in the front. However with the car being as old as it is along with the milage I don't see my self keeping it more than a year. With that said I don't want to spend $2000 on a wrap, but this seems like an inexpensive alternative for a summer look. My main concern is that I have some paint chips on one of my fenders so I'm worried that if I try and take the plastidip off I'll end up taking even more paint off in the process.

DAVY27 04-22-2013 10:06 AM

ask Lucas

tfranzone 04-22-2013 01:28 PM

^^^ +2 for asking Lucas... hopefully, you should be able to spot his WK on here lol

bematare 04-23-2013 06:29 AM

I just saw his, and it looks pretty BA, but for 300$ eh.. maybe in the future ;)

paroxysym 04-23-2013 12:16 PM

theres another guy on here that dipped his whole jeep as well. he did his in the matte red though, turned out pretty good. im waiting to see how lucas holds up, i know how my rims did and that wasnt too impressive.

also these places that do the dipping "professionally", i wonder how much they charge for a whole vehicle...

Madanio24 04-23-2013 12:18 PM

I dont think plastidip will hold up on door handles and such

Lucas J 04-23-2013 12:25 PM

$300??? Lmao, i wish i only spent $300.

Cost is all going to depend on your base coat. Mine was expensive because I chose the most expensive color PD and because I went from the darkest to lightest extreme. Had I just gone flat black, I could have done it in 4 or 5 gallons.

Lucas J 04-23-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madanio24 (Post 810038)
I dont think plastidip will hold up on door handles and such

I just drove it through thorn bushes and it didn't even scratch or peal. It will hold up on door handles just fine. It's very durable.

trailr8 04-24-2013 08:31 AM

that's good to hear cause I'm dipping some of the commander soon