Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Brake Master Cylinder Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/brake-master-cylinder-question-55929.html)

appalation_american 03-05-2013 11:19 PM

Brake Master Cylinder Question

Okay so im new to the forum but love it already. I've looked through several pages of threads looking for an answer with no luck so here i go. I recently bought a 99 wj with the 4.0 and select trac. my problem is every time that i press the brakes i hear a hissing sound as i let off the peddel. It sounds like the brake booster. also the peddle is pretty squishy. that was the beginning and after a rear junkyard axle swap my rear brakes are barely working. the abs will kick in when the wheels start sliding but there is barely any stopping force to the rear. i have bled at least a full quart through the system and it hasnt helped a bit. just curious if anyone else has had similar problems. looking to upgrade to r1 concepts calipers and rotors sometime in the near future and didnt know if maybe my master cylinder was part of the problem aslo
thanks in advance for any input

TotalInferno 03-06-2013 12:42 AM

I've heard of a similar problem where the left and right calipers were incorrectly installed (flipped). This makes it impossible to bleed properly (upside down)

appalation_american 03-06-2013 08:28 AM

Re: Brake Master Cylinder Question

i like to think of myself as fairly mechanically inclined but mistakes do happen. the bleader valve should be above the the brake hose fitting correct?

spyder873 03-06-2013 09:30 AM

I have had some good friends who have been wheeling for years do the same thing ,lol . If I remember right 2 of them in the same summer ,lol

TotalInferno 03-06-2013 12:44 PM

I'm not a mechanic myself but yes I believe the bleeder valve should be at the top.

Madanio24 03-06-2013 01:16 PM

I am having the same problem in my 90 teg which i plan on doing a type r swap into. I bled 3 quartz through the system with a power bleeder. replace one caliper and still nothing. I was told next to check the slide pins and bleed the abs system

appalation_american 03-06-2013 02:35 PM

okay so i went out this morning and looked at the rear calipers and found that the bleaders were below the line so ill be fixing that tonight. guess thats what happens when you take a complete axle to the mechanic and pick it up in pieces. hopefully flipping them will fix it. any clue as to the hissing sound? bad brake booster?thanks for the help so far

TotalInferno 03-06-2013 06:47 PM

Unfortunately I have no idea about the hissing sound.

Frango100 03-07-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appalation_american (Post 774412)
okay so i went out this morning and looked at the rear calipers and found that the bleaders were below the line so ill be fixing that tonight. guess thats what happens when you take a complete axle to the mechanic and pick it up in pieces. hopefully flipping them will fix it. any clue as to the hissing sound? bad brake booster?thanks for the help so far

The hissing sound most probably is a vacuum leak from the brake booster. To test you could just remove the vacuum hose from the brake booster (and plug the hose) and press the brake pedal.

appalation_american 03-07-2013 10:12 PM

well success for me. switched the calipers and bled and now that puppy stops on a dime thanks everyone for the help i can honestly i would never have thought of that

hoffmanestates 03-09-2013 12:07 AM

Does the master cylinder flex under hard to moderate braking?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

appalation_american 03-12-2013 10:04 PM

well ive driven it for a few days now and most everything seems to be working fine now still a little hissing when i let off but the brakes are 200% better