Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Diesel - Shell, Caltex, BP, Mobil or 711? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/diesel-shell-caltex-bp-mobil-or-711-a-55935.html)

GlennR 03-06-2013 03:02 AM

Diesel - Shell, Caltex, BP, Mobil or 711?

Guys,
Got the use of a CRD Ltd whilst mines off the road to fix yet another round of Gremlins! It's a 2011 with only 17k on it, but it is noticably more powerful than my 2012 CRD Overland with only 21k on it....and the engines quieter. I am forced into purchasing Shell only, but wonder what the general consensus is on preferred Diesel. I wonder if other fuel oils give better MPG and power than Shell?

Swampy 03-06-2013 03:51 AM

Re: Diesel - Shell, Caltex, BP, Mobil or 711?

I always use BP ultimate Diesel. Significantly better fuel economy than standard BP Diesel.

ENFORCER 03-06-2013 04:04 AM

Same Shit....Same Smell
I use whatever is cheapest, usually Shell with the 8cp/l discount.

allypally 03-06-2013 04:26 AM

I generally use Caltex Vortex, but that is mainly because it is convenient. I honestly don't think there is much of a difference between diesel fuels.

BobT 03-06-2013 04:43 AM

I agree with allypally. It is highly unlikely you would be able to reliably measure a difference in performance with fuels let alone feel it. My guess is it's the tyres. Dealers always overinflate tyres. It makes the steering feel light and the car more responsive. Let the pressure down to what you are used to and see. If it's not that then it's obviously...:rolleyes: ...your Mopar stainless pedals!

yoda42 03-06-2013 05:10 AM

I think it does make a difference, we use caltex vortex premium when at home (Darwin ), when we go on trips and fill up in Katherine on caltex vortex (not the premium, it's not available in Katherine ) I record over a litre/100 more fuel used on the non premium, all highway work very similar conditions for driving.
I will always use premium diesel if its available because of the better fuel economy I have seen using it

allypally 03-06-2013 06:47 AM

You don't think that is because when you drive DOWN south it is easier than driving UP north? :D

yoda42 03-06-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allypally (Post 774116)
You don't think that is because when you drive DOWN south it is easier than driving UP north? :D

Yer driving down hill is easier than driving up hill, but I always seem to speed going down ;-(.
Was still heading south from Katherine so can rule out the up hill down bit lol

BobT 03-07-2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda42 (Post 774104)
I think it does make a difference, we use caltex vortex premium when at home (Darwin ), when we go on trips and fill up in Katherine on caltex vortex (not the premium, it's not available in Katherine ) I record over a litre/100 more fuel used on the non premium, all highway work very similar conditions for driving.
I will always use premium diesel if its available because of the better fuel economy I have seen using it

On the Caltex web site, they list Vortex Diesel as one of their Vortex Premium Fuels. They make no distinction between a Vortex Premium Diesel and a Vortex Diesel. But then what oil companies say they do and what they actually do are often different. On the other hand, the guy in Katherine may have got hold of some dodgy diesel they siphoned off the boat people boats. :)

Here is a post I found that sounds plausible,
"I had a phone conversation with a tech from Caltex a couple of weeks ago and he said that the difference between Vortex and normal diesel is that Vortex has the addition of a detergent, anti foaming agent and a scent(perfume) to disguise the diesel smell. Two cent/litre price difference when I looked."

A review of diesel fuels I did some time ago shows consistency among the majority of diesels. Typically they nominated the following criteria limits although some stated unconvincingly that usually they achieved better:
Sulphur ≤ 10 ppm; Cetane ≥ 46; Lubricity ≤ 460 microns
There were two standouts that were prepared to be definitive. They were:
Shell Diesel Extra
Sulphur 8 ppm; Cetane 49; Lubricity 400 microns
BP Ultimate Diesel
Sulphur 5 ppm; Cetane 52; Lubricity 400 microns

BP would have to be the pick. Not only cleaner but a higher cetane rating. The cetane rating is the measure of how efficiently the fuel burns. Diesels fuels typically have a similar energy rating but with a higher cetane rating, more of that energy is obtainable.

yoda42 03-07-2013 04:30 AM

BobT, this is not just a 1 off, it happens every time I fill up in Katherine (travel through their several times a year as my father and brother live there), I am talking personal experience, you can believe what you choose, I have the evidence in my fuel logs, I will continue to use premium diesel where it is available as I do get better fuel economy with it.
Yoda

BobT 03-07-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda42 (Post 774940)
BobT, this is not just a 1 off, it happens every time I fill up in Katherine (travel through their several times a year as my father and brother live there), I am talking personal experience, you can believe what you choose, I have the evidence in my fuel logs, I will continue to use premium diesel where it is available as I do get better fuel economy with it.
Yoda

I never doubted your experience for one minute. I'm just at a loss to find an explanation for it in the literature but that is my failure not yours.

GlennR 03-07-2013 04:49 AM

Good find Bob. Whats the thoughts on adding further additives.....a few guys in the office swear by it, claiming more kms per tank but not sure of the compatibility with hp CRDs. ...They reckon it increases the cetane level that I am about to google because I have no idea about cetanes, how much they are and where to buy them!!!!!