Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Snowquestration throwing problems at my WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/snowquestration-throwing-problems-at-my-wk2-55949.html)

JeepMonster 03-06-2013 11:49 AM

Snowquestration throwing problems at my WK2

So as most people in the DC area know its been snowing for a little while. While out grabbing breakfast this morning I noticed a few problems that may be linked, not sure though. Appreciate anyones insight into this, thanks!

1) A loud exhaust like sound coming from what appears to be front left wheel while driving..wondering if the snow buildup from wheel well could be causing this.
2) When parked I was shifting from park to drive then back to park and I noticed it was harder than normal to move the shifter. Hasn't happened again since.
3) The defroster is working at slower than normal speeds and heard what appear to be water like sounds coming from the vents. Also I noticed a few times that if parked the defrosters seem to be working but once I put my car in drive the speed reduces.

Justal13 03-06-2013 12:20 PM

Re: Snowquestration throwing problems at my WK2

We just got 12 inches of snow here yesterday also. Cold weather and snow cause strange noises. It helps that I park in a heated garage both at home and work. To answer your questions, all are likely normal noises and will go away when you thaw out.

I also have a Laredo X with the auto HVAC controls. I rarely use Auto mode, and keep it in manual/sync 99.9% of the time. This prevents the fan speed from changing, which drives me crazy.

A positive is that my GC is terrific in the snow and slush. Just have to remember that it takes longer to stop this big brick, and there are many idiots driving crappy cars with crappy tires and crappy winter driving skills. So I leave ample room.

Best luck and I am praying for Spring, sooner the better - I am sick of this winter.

DirtyDuc83 03-06-2013 02:32 PM

First time driving a new vehicle in snow can be an interesting experience. The first time I drove my E46 M3 in the snow it made all sorts of crazy noises...once it thawed out, all was back to normal and no noises or new issues. Wait it out and see if it is still having those issues after the snow melts.

HammFist 03-06-2013 05:52 PM

Like the others have said, a lot of the noises are likely due to slush getting into everything under the car and then freezing. You can also hear the traction control kick in when it is braking only one wheel.

On my '06 Pacifica, I was driving on a cold slushy day and the tranny started to shift back and forth between 2 and 3 very fast while accelerating. I thought it was new transmission time. Nope, when everything thawed out it was fine. That was 4 years ago and it has never repeated. Ice does weird things.

JeepMonster 03-09-2013 07:04 AM

Much like people on here already mentioned, the problems fixed themselves once it thawed out a little bit.