Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   E-Brake light flashing!? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/e-brake-light-flashing-55994.html)

LeCheese 03-07-2013 02:25 AM

E-Brake light flashing!?

Hi guys,
Got in the car today and as I drove off, I noticed that the e-brake light had not turned off and was flashing. Thinking I had just forgotten to take it off, I checked, but it was not engaged. So basically, it is flashing for no apparent reason. It has done this before, however rectified itself the next time I turned the car on. It's been 3 days now and it hasn't stopped. Last time, I put it down to the fact that I was pushing in the e-brake harder than normal as there was a bit of roll so I wanted to make it tighter. However, I tried to push it in not quite as far again but it is still flashing. Thoughts?

padgett 03-07-2013 09:41 PM

Re: E-Brake light flashing!?

Looking in the OM I find several mentions of what turns the light on but none for flashing. Do you have the adaptive cruise control and is it turned on ?

Justal13 03-08-2013 04:41 PM

Try doing the opposite. Push the parking brake down as far as you can and releasing it a few times. Sometimes, things can bind up a bit, particularly in inclimate weather. Has worked for me every time. I never use my parking brake in the winter unless I absolutely have to.

LeCheese 03-09-2013 11:48 PM

Padgett: I do not have ACC

Justal: Considering I live in Australia, it isnt exactly snowing right now... but we have had a lot of rain lately, so I'll give it a go

padgett 03-10-2013 04:33 PM

If the flashing was regular it is probably computer generated. If irregular it could be a switch or a short or a loose connection.

bill_de 03-10-2013 04:54 PM

This is just a guess based on experience with some older cars. The same light that when on, solid, indicated the emergency brake was engaged, when flashing indicated a problem with the brake system.

At the very least I would say take a look at your brake fluid level.

LeCheese 03-11-2013 03:39 AM

padgett: it's 100% computer generated

bill: i've looked at the fluid levels, all good - i will take it to a dealer as soon as i get a chance just in case it is a major system problem

peckmv 03-18-2013 08:05 AM

My 2012 JGC did a similar thing. The brake light stayed on and a single chime sounded. Checked the parking brake and it was released. Cycled it a couple of times and light stayed on. Not flashing but just on. Took it to dealer and they reset the light and checked fluids and a seal in the master cylinder. (TSB) They said if it happened again to call them. Went about two weeks trouble free and then it came on again for a whole day and now its off. Have a scheduled appt. to have it checked again. Frustrating.........

padgett 03-18-2013 09:10 AM

Best thing to do is to read the fault codes (if any) when it is on. There must be a reason why. Can even read from my telephone.