Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   ORAII 18" wheel + QL = mushy ride? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/oraii-18-wheel-ql-mushy-ride-56028.html)

bcrwc 03-07-2013 03:08 PM

ORAII 18" wheel + QL = mushy ride?

I've seen comments sprinkled thru several threads that the combo of 18" wheel/tire and quadra-lift air suspension makes for too soft of a ride. Marshmallow-like even.

I'm also noticing a lot of people ordering the Overland with ORAII. I test drove a 2014 limited with QL last week, 18" wheels, and the ride felt somewhat firm, but smooth. I didn't get the 'marshmallow' impression that I've heard from some people, but it was a simple test drive, and I didn't get into much cornering.

What is consensus on this issue? I imagine it depends a bit on wall stiffness of tire - are people choosing a replacement tire with stiffer sidewall to counteract the overly-soft ride issue? Or having good luck with latitude tours?

Thanks!

Brett

jdc311 03-07-2013 03:12 PM

Re: ORAII 18" wheel + QL = mushy ride?

Good thread, I have some of the same questions as I've been internally debating an Overland with the 20" wheels and QDII, or dropping down to the 18" wheels and the ORAII package. Interested in more valuable responses than mine. :D

jacko15 03-07-2013 04:53 PM

I think a lot of it depends on what you were driving before you got into the Jeep. Personally, I didn't think the Limited I test drove with 18" wheels and Latitudes felt mushy at all with the QL, but I drove to the dealer in my 6 year old Buick Enclave. On the other hand, I ordered my '14 Overland with ORA II, and have already ordered other tires to swap out to right away because I don't think the Latitudes will give me the traction I'll need in the deep snow I get where I live. The 20" wheels will probably give a stiffer ride with more road feel, but that's not something I really want. Test drive the GC in as many configurations as you can and trust your own judgement, after all, you'll be the one buying the car.

willjeep 03-07-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

already ordered other tires to swap out to right away because I don't think the Latitudes will give me the traction I'll need in the deep snow
Hello Jacko,

what tires did you buy to replace the Latitudes?

jacko15 03-07-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willjeep (Post 775576)
Hello Jacko,

what tires did you buy to replace the Latitudes?

Michelin LTX M/S2 265/60 R18

bcrwc 03-08-2013 11:51 PM

I'm going to go try and drive a 20" and 18" QL back-to-back tomorrow. I'll give them a little more of a maneuver test to try and discern difference.

Thank you guys for some feedback. I'd still love to hear more input from people that actually drive the quadralift with the 18" wheels...

-B

willjeep 03-09-2013 12:22 AM

Thanks Jacko,
If i can swing it i might change out the ome tires right away also. I wonder how the silent armor tires are for every day driving and surf fishing on the weekends.

jacko15 03-09-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willjeep (Post 776532)
Thanks Jacko,
If i can swing it i might change out the ome tires right away also. I wonder how the silent armor tires are for every day driving and surf fishing on the weekends.

I've heard folks who have them are pretty happy with them. They were on my short list.

akgrown 03-09-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 775676)
Michelin LTX M/S2 265/60 R18

Fantastic tires...have the LTX M/S on my WJ and they've yet to let me down, plus they are far quieter than the stock tires.