Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   MY14 keyfob question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/my14-keyfob-question-56104.html)

AAAA 03-08-2013 04:53 PM

MY14 keyfob question
 
So the MY14 fob does not have the plastic extension which is used to "key" start the engine in the event of a fob battery failure that is on the MY11-13 fobs. How do you start the engine on the 2014's in this situation?

DucTape 03-08-2013 04:57 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 776259)
So the MY14 fob does not have the plastic extension which is used to "key" start the engine in the event of a fob battery failure that is on the MY11-13 fobs. How do you start the engine on the 2014's in this situation?


Having played around with test-driving a '14 last week, I was curious about this as well. There's a real physical metal key inside the fob that slides out when you push some sort of release mechanism.

Of course, what you DO with that metal key is a mystery to me at this point, since I assume jabbing it into the start button won't accomplish much. :rolleyes:

So, there's half your answer. :D

AAAA 03-08-2013 04:59 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
Thanks, but the metal key is a glove box and emergency door key. Same as MY11-13.

bill_de 03-08-2013 05:17 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 776269)
Thanks, but the metal key is a glove box and emergency door key. Same as MY11-13.

There is something in the manual about holding the opposite end of the fob from where the key is, directly against the start button. Having never seen this set up it didn't make a lot of sense to me, but it there for your reading pleasure.


.

RageOfFury 03-08-2013 05:20 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
It uses NFC (Near Field Communication) to authenticate the dead fob with the button. You press the fob against the button and voila, she starts!

AAAA 03-08-2013 05:35 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 776290)
It uses NFC (Near Field Communication) to authenticate the dead fob with the button. You press the fob against the button and voila, she starts!

Thanks RoF. Please explain how "Voila" works if the battery is dead. Is it a magnet? Residual battery power?
Bill_de: I'll bet your car is here in Albany at the Selkirk railyard. I frequently see truckloads of Grand Cherokees coming out of there onto I-87.

RageOfFury 03-08-2013 05:40 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
NFC requires only 1 of the 2 objects to be powered. The button is, fob not. NFC is popping up everywhere. Some stores have an NFC "sticker" that you can touch your smartphone to and it checks you into Foursquare or Facebook.

bill_de 03-08-2013 05:43 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 776301)
Thanks RoF. Please explain how "Voila" works if the battery is dead. Is it a magnet? Residual battery power?
Bill_de: I'll bet your car is here in Albany at the Selkirk railyard. I frequently see truckloads of Grand Cherokees coming out of there onto I-87.

My Jeep is in Jessup, Md., the last train stop. My salesman told me they are sometimes slow to get them on to trucks. There is one in the tracking thread that waited for 4 days. And it's less than 2 hours away. ;)



.

AAAA 03-08-2013 05:45 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
I am 500 miles from Detroit and mine took 3 weeks to get here!

SW03ES 03-08-2013 11:21 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
Thats how the smart key system works on my Lexus, you hold the of up to the dash next to the button and it starts if the battery is dead. Most modern smart key systems work that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_d
My Jeep is in Jessup, Md

Want me to check it out for ya? ;)

bill_de 03-08-2013 11:24 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 776507)
Thats how the smart key system works on my Lexus, you hold the of up to the dash next to the button and it starts if the battery is dead. Most modern smart key systems work that way.



Want me to check it out for ya? ;)

Sure, post pictures!



.

SW03ES 03-08-2013 11:55 PM

Re: MY14 keyfob question
 
You gotta bail me out of jail if I get caught lol


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community