Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Factory stereo upgrade (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/factory-stereo-upgrade-56133.html)

psujeeperman02 03-09-2013 08:22 AM

Factory stereo upgrade

I'm new to the forum and new to the world of GCs. Just bought a new 2013 after trading in my 2008 JK. Anyway, my GC has the very basic stereo. No Nav, no Sub....6 speaker set up. The setup isn't horrible, but I would like to upgrade it a bit. My question is...do you think just upgrading the speakers would make any sort of difference? I'm thinking Infinity Reference for front and rear.
I'm ok with keeping the factory unit if possible.

RageOfFury 03-09-2013 09:36 AM

Re: Factory stereo upgrade

There a few paths you can take with the stock 6 speaker setup

You could upgrade just the speakers, but be advised the factory headunit doesn't output much power, so I recommend adding an aftermarket amp.

PAC Audio offers adapters to interface the stock headunit with an aftermarket amp.

What I did was upgrade the speakers, add an amp and upgrade the headunit.

The front door speakers are components, which means a 6"x9" woofer in the bottom of the door and a 1" tweeter in the upper part. I recommend upgrading to a component kit.

The rear doors are coaxial 6.5". These are easy to upgrade.

Check out Crutchfield.com's Outfit my car tool to see what fits.

By the way, you'll need a trim/door panel removal tool to remove the door panels. Doing it by hand isn't going to work.

Schweibs 03-09-2013 03:38 PM

I have the 6 speaker set up and I upgraded my base radio to a Pioneer AVH-X1500 and I noticed a definite improvement in sound quality with more bass and sharper treble. There is more depth to my music now. But still cheap Chrysler door speakers can only play so nicely.. I can't wait to have upgraded all audio components in my Jeep

psujeeperman02 03-09-2013 03:44 PM

Did you lose your audio controls on the steering wheel? Was it an easy install?

psujeeperman02 03-09-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 776669)
There a few paths you can take with the stock 6 speaker setup

You could upgrade just the speakers, but be advised the factory headunit doesn't output much power, so I recommend adding an aftermarket amp.

PAC Audio offers adapters to interface the stock headunit with an aftermarket amp.

What I did was upgrade the speakers, add an amp and upgrade the headunit.

The front door speakers are components, which means a 6"x9" woofer in the bottom of the door and a 1" tweeter in the upper part. I recommend upgrading to a component kit.

The rear doors are coaxial 6.5". These are easy to upgrade.

Check out Crutchfield.com's Outfit my car tool to see what fits.

By the way, you'll need a trim/door panel removal tool to remove the door panels. Doing it by hand isn't going to work.

Did you happen to install, add, or upgrade the in-dash speaker?

RageOfFury 03-09-2013 03:56 PM

Re: Factory stereo upgrade

There is no dash speaker in the 6-speaker system. Only with the 9-speaker system. So, no.

You do not lose the steering wheel controls if you use an adapter from PAC-Audio.

Schweibs 03-09-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psujeeperman02 (Post 776871)
Did you lose your audio controls on the steering wheel? Was it an easy install?

I used a PAC interface to retain the functions of the buttons on the steering wheel. When you purchase a radio from crutchfield they sell you the interface at 50% off.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP4C...Interface.html

I have never done a radio swap in a car before and I don't have much experience with wiring either and I thought the install was relatively simple. It took me around 4-5 hours for the whole install. I spent a long time with a dremel opening up the sub dash to allow my double din radio to fit in there. At first the wiring may seem overwhelming but it wasn't that hard, just seems that way. Plus there is a lot of satisfaction in knowing that I replaced the radio myself instead of paying someone else to do it.