Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rechargeable Flashlight Dead on Arrival (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rechargeable-flashlight-dead-on-arrival-56154.html)

drwilki2 03-09-2013 02:31 PM

Rechargeable Flashlight Dead on Arrival

Anyone had issues with this rechargeable flashlight in the back? Does not work and this is a brand new jeep?

Any suggestions?

SMG1 03-09-2013 02:33 PM

Re: Rechargeable Flashlight Dead on Arrival

Take it to the dealer and get it replaced under warranty. I don't really know what else there is to say.

drwilki2 03-09-2013 02:37 PM

It's covered under warranty? If so, cool cause I have an upcoming appointment for the following:

1. Forward Collision Warning (FCW) not working at all unless Adaptive Cruise Control is active....
2. Sunroof rattle

Thought I'd share so we can compile a list of common issues to check for when buying a new JGC 2012, 2013, 2014 years.

weck 03-09-2013 03:58 PM

The one in the 14 on a local dealer floor worked the first time I turned it on, but was dim. Turned off then after that, would not turn on again.

I have no personal experience, but I wonder if it only charges when the vehicle is running?

drwilki2 03-09-2013 04:01 PM

Another note: the flashlight battery is locked in and can't be replaced so make sure you have yours repaired under warranty within the 3 year/36,000 mile manufacturer's warranty.

jacko15 03-09-2013 05:00 PM

My wife has the same light in her '08 Compass. Died after about a year. Never use it, so forgot about it.

bill_de 03-09-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weck (Post 776881)
The one in the 14 on a local dealer floor worked the first time I turned it on, but was dim. Turned off then after that, would not turn on again.

I have no personal experience, but I wonder if it only charges when the vehicle is running?

People turning them on after the batteries are discharged probably ruins the batteries. The dealers shouldn't let everyone play with them. :p

---

ChrisOC 03-09-2013 05:18 PM

I actually never got one to begin with, I always keep a mag light in my car so it's no biggie. When I did try them out, they didn't seem all that bright.

weck 03-09-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 776942)
People turning them on after the batteries are discharged probably ruins the batteries. The dealers shouldn't let everyone play with them. :p

---

But it lights up and you can make shinys with it... I love shinys...

Actually was surprised they left it in there... Had both key fobs sitting in the cup holder too. For a moment I wondered how they would react if I started it up on the showroom floor.:eek:

*Len 03-09-2013 06:53 PM

Mine wasn't charging when I got my GC but I found out by accident that if I didn't push the light all the way in (top of light not flush) that it did charge. I bent the contacts out a little (on the GC not the light) and it works fine now.

jacko15 03-10-2013 12:42 AM

At the Cleveland Auto Show most of the Jeeps, and actually, most of the other cars had the batteries disconnected. You couldn't turn on lights, move seats, fiddle with the radios or anything. :(

rich mac 03-10-2013 01:58 AM

The flashlight charges only while the vehicle is running (at least on my '11 GC, probably the same on others). The battery is replaceable, the flashlight housing can be pryed open and snapped back together. It is an odd shaped battery, but is not proprietary to Chrysler. I found an exact replacement on the web for under 10USD. Granted it's not much of a light, but I like all my gadgets to work.
BTW - all the electronics are in the flashlight, the charging station is just a mount/connector.