Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   maintenance help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/maintenance-help-56212.html)

alabama.crimson.tide88 03-10-2013 02:25 PM

maintenance help

I bought my 2005 jeep from a used car lot for pretty cheap, so far its mechanical sound. I changed the spark plugs, oil, check all the fluids, changed the air filter, tires and getting ready to change the brake all the way around. It has 120,000 miles on it. Is they anything else I should change out on in before I lift it.

spyder873 03-10-2013 04:46 PM

Re: maintenance help

transmission fluid , transfer case fluid, differential fluid ... Might as well do it all. You dont know when the last time it was done.

alabama.crimson.tide88 03-10-2013 04:54 PM

Like flush each system?

spyder873 03-10-2013 05:12 PM

no , Just change the tranny fluid and filters ( drop pan) , empty the transfercase and refill.

Remove the differential covers ,clean it out real good with Brake clean , get all the metal shavings out and refill

Lucas J 03-10-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder873 (Post 777582)
no , Just change the tranny fluid and filters ( drop pan) , empty the transfercase and refill.

Remove the differential covers ,clean it out real good with Brake clean , get all the metal shavings out and refill

Solid advise.

alabama.crimson.tide88 03-10-2013 06:05 PM

Sweet thanks

Walt 03-10-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alabama.crimson.tide88 (Post 777474)
I bought my 2005 jeep from a used car lot for pretty cheap, so far its mechanical sound. I changed the spark plugs, oil, check all the fluids, changed the air filter, tires and getting ready to change the brake all the way around. It has 120,000 miles on it. Is there anything else I should change out on in before I lift it.

Engine?

Congratulations on your Grand Cherokee. Hope you have fun with it.

If you do not know the maintenance history, 4 other candidates for the 5.7L HEMI are the serpentine belt (60K miles), EGR valve, PVC valve (60 K miles), and MAP sensor. Do the EGR valve at same time as the serpentine belt and save some frustration.

Think the '05's also have plug wires to check. jeepgcoman recommends Taylor "Shorties" as replacements. The '08's have coil-on-plug, so it's not for my model year.

These may also be good candidates for other engines, but I'm not as conversant with those. Other members can chime in.

alabama.crimson.tide88 03-10-2013 06:37 PM

i dont want to replace the engine, its runs like a champ other than the not so great gas mileage, but i did have it check out at firestone and the only thing that they told me to do was flush the fuel lines and the brake line, other that it was fine. i just wanted so fellow jeep members to tell me what they think. its a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 L v6 2wd. with 120,000 miles on it. i forgot to post it earlier.. im also trying to learn more about the mechanic side of things because i really dont know how to do that much. I have learned somethings on a GMC envoy that my girlfriend owns.. so any tips or hints of how to do things will be very helpful

Walt 03-10-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alabama.crimson.tide88 (Post 777630)
i dont want to replace the engine, .. its a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 L v6 2wd. with 120,000 miles on it. i forgot to post it earlier.. ...

My question was not to replace the engine.....just wanted to find out which one you already have! :lol:

Each engne has its own quirks and other members on the site can help you better if they know how your rig is outfitted.

Lots of good info here: WKJeeps.com - 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee menu Has parts manual and owners manual you can download.

alabama.crimson.tide88 03-10-2013 06:57 PM

Lol sorry I said I'm very new to all this..

spyder873 03-10-2013 08:11 PM

serpentine belt is a great one Walt ! That was on of the first thing I replaced on mine when I bought it.
It become one of those automatic maintenance things or if the water pump goes bad.

alabama.crimson.tide88 03-16-2013 08:26 AM

so i got everything done and my jeep is running great, there is one more noise that i'm kinda know what it is but unsure at the same time. when i take sharp turn i hear a click noise under the drive side. from past experience i think it might be the tire rod or axle. has anyone had any problems similar. it almost sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle, like kids use to do.