Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   gear fluids (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/gear-fluids-56297.html)

jeep5.7 03-11-2013 05:01 PM

gear fluids

ive read alot on changing the diff fluids,my question is do i need to use the friction modifier in the back also?
also,with the royal purple,does it have the modifier in it already?or should i just use mopar?

Walt 03-11-2013 06:05 PM

Re: gear fluids

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep5.7 (Post 778266)
ive read alot on changing the diff fluids,my question is do i need to use the friction modifier in the back also?
also,with the royal purple,does it have the modifier in it already?or should i just use mopar?

jeep5.7,

I use Mobil-1 75W-140 full synthetic gear oil front & rear. Careful shopping and it's about $15 per quart on sale. 4 total quarts required.

You need the MOPAR friction modifier both front & rear in your '08 WK ONLY IF you have QD-II. It come in 4-oz. bottles IIRC. Not real expensive (like $7.50 per bottle). 1 bottle per axle.

I have QT-II, so it is not necessary in either axle.

Sorry, I have no knowledge of Royal Purple, so I cannot address that part of your question. Any other members have expertise here and can help out jeep5.7?

Hope this helps. :D

DannyVtCa 03-12-2013 09:22 AM

Royal purple already has the friction modifier in it. Been using it for 50k and no problems.... Remember to change it out every 20-30k miles. Supposedly royal purple runs the coolest and gives you better mpg.... Which I think is debatable... But I prefer not to have to buy friction modifier and add it.

jeep5.7 03-12-2013 06:04 PM

thanks guys that helps alot and its cheaper than mopar fluids,stupid question but i do have QDII so do i add the whole bottle of modifier in front and back,also is it best to use mopar fluids for the transaxle?

therock2 03-12-2013 07:16 PM

I have the QDII and I'm about to do the same with Royal Purple. I called and spoke with a sales tech at Royal Purple and he confirmed you don't need to add the modifier. The Max Gear already has it in it.

2005JGC 03-13-2013 01:11 AM

JUST my opinion, I would suggest you do some more research into the product before you go trusting your drivetrain to it on one phone call with the company trying to sell their product.

It may work AMAZING, it may put Mopars required fluid to shame, at the same time consider IF you do have issues the damage that can be caused.

I am a guy that is not sold on pitches, even if it is amazing fluid, I wont see savings at the pump, its not going to make my drivetrain last any longer than fresh synthetic fluid (I change every 15k miles), and Im not going to gain any horsepower. So there is assurance in knowing I have what was tested and proven to work by the manufacturer, not a company pedaling a product.

Again, may put the suggested synthetic 75w140 and friction modifier to shame, it just may, but I wont sell out from a sales pitch, especially knowing how good synthetic fluids are now a days.

Walt 03-15-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep5.7 (Post 779098)
thanks guys that helps alot and its cheaper than mopar fluids,stupid question but i do have QDII so do i add the whole bottle of modifier in front and back,also is it best to use mopar fluids for the transaxle?

Yes. One small bottle for each axle.

Yes. Recommend you buy the MOPAR special friction modifier juice because you KNOW it conforms to the tribology requirements. 2 bottles = ~$15. Everything else I've read about other fluids is anecdotal evidence. The claims seem to skirt around the issue without a definitive/no qualifier statement. Your axles; your choice.

antsjeep 03-18-2013 06:26 PM

It wont hurt anything if you were to put the modifier in on top of the premix fluid (royal purple, etc...)

I personally chose to stick with all Mopar fluids (diffs and TC)... I plan on changing them every 15-20k.

Kevman 03-28-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsjeep (Post 782997)
It wont hurt anything if you were to put the modifier in on top of the premix fluid (royal purple, etc...)

I personally chose to stick with all Mopar fluids (diffs and TC)... I plan on changing them every 15-20k.

Would a BG LS2 work as an FM:confused:? ive got a QD2 on a 05 4.7 WH.

dmsfun 04-03-2013 02:07 PM

Mopar is just rebranded Shell gear oil, very poor in comparison tests. RP is a bit better than Mopar, but for the best gear fluid get Amsoil, about the same price as Mobil 1 yet much better. I use Amsoil gear oil with the Amsoil friction modifier in my QDII.

briteway 04-04-2013 05:19 AM

I use Redline with FM already in it. Just changed out the fluids 2 weeks ago and this was my second time with Redline. Awesome product and hasn't let me down considering I do regular offroading.