Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Possible New Ride (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/possible-new-ride-56356.html)

NightFury 03-12-2013 05:18 PM

Possible New Ride

Well I finally talked my wife into getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee and to stop racking up the miles on mine. lol. She found an 04 Laredo at a dealer that a couple of friends work. It's got a 4.0L I-6 with...wait for it... 50K miles. The interior and exterior are in great shape. The fluids (oil, Trans, radiator) are all clean and not burnt smelling.

What else should I be looking at with this particular model year? I've owned a couple ZJ's and now drive my WK.

Thanks everyone!

JeepFreak12 03-13-2013 05:25 AM

Re: Possible New Ride

Wow 50K! That motor is just getting broken in lol. Sounds like you have a winner, of course for the right price.

NightFury 03-13-2013 09:29 AM

8900 is what they're asking.

When she told me how many miles it had I thought she was nuts. Lol. But we went and test drove it last night and that's exactly what it had. It ran great and smooth the whole time.

Trav1s 03-13-2013 11:02 AM

Recirc door is problematic on the Laredo-based WJ but I have read that was sorted out by the 2004 MY. (By the looks of my Columbia, I can fairly confidently say the dash has been apart for some reason.) Other than the usual used vehicle things the recirc door is all that I can think about. Any idea on what the dealer did to it before putting it on the lot? Why was it traded?

Madanio24 03-13-2013 01:20 PM

Thats a great motor,.

hummer recovery team 03-13-2013 03:31 PM

Awesome motor one of the best Chrysler based motors EVER!

JeepMe 03-13-2013 03:38 PM

Look for leaking rear axle seals. Easiest way to do that is while the Jeep is on flat ground, put it in drive (with foot on brake) and put the parking brake one. Then take your foot off the brake and see if the parking brake holds it in place. If it moves, then take one of the rear wheels of and inspect. The rear axles leak onto the parking brake shoes and cause them to not hold the vehicle in place.

NightFury 03-13-2013 10:56 PM

Cool! Thanks everyone for the input. We test drove it today and it runs awesome. Motor runs like a raped ape and is pretty clean (no signs of leaks or anything). Only problem we had were the hood struts and back hatch struts were really weak. I think I can handle that repair. lol. I'll post pictures up tomorrow.

Madanio24 03-13-2013 10:57 PM

Thats easy! my 05 wk has those problems but too laxy to fix

NightFury 03-18-2013 02:37 PM

I already fixed the hood struts. The first time I opened the hood I let go of it and the damn thing smacked me in the head. Damn thing is just like my wife....bitch.