Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Front headlamp not working -- any help?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/front-headlamp-not-working-any-help-56359.html)

BravoKilo 03-12-2013 06:02 PM

Front headlamp not working -- any help??

Had my front left headlamp go dead on me a week ago (2008 WK, v6). Purchased new bulbs hoping it would solve the issue, but to no avail.

Headlamps are a HID conversion and had been working great for over a year. Just noticed that one had stopped working.

Working on picking up a volt-meter to start testing connections, but was curious if anybody had any other suggestions?

Tried finding the appropriate fuses/relays at Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Fuses, but unless I'm blind, I'm not seeing anything for low beams.

Any help??

2005JGC 03-13-2013 01:00 AM

Re: Front headlamp not working -- any help??

Make sure your powers and grounds are good. Realistically, you didnt say where you got the kit from so I would lean towards a cheaper establishment, 1 year for crappy ballasts is not uncommon.

BravoKilo 03-13-2013 01:14 AM

Hoping for nicer weather this weekend to get out and start checking connections and grounds. Any easy way to test if a ballast is still good or not? Simple as testing continuity from one end to the other or any specifics I should be reading on a multimeter?

I have one of the Xenon Depot kits if that matters.

Thanks for the help

2005JGC 03-14-2013 01:05 AM

xenon depot are much higher quality, if you have questions with their product contact them on here via pm.

Are you using a relay harness? I have had an issue with one harness, no issues since but it actually melted the pins in the connector at the relay... The best way to test a balast is honestly with a known good. Like when one of yours worked, swapping the known good to the non working side. Contact xenon depot and see what they say, I havent dealt with them but I have only heard good things of their customer service!

BravoKilo 03-14-2013 10:19 PM

Was eventually thinking I might and try to contact them, but the only issue is that I bought the kit from a board member (almost exactly 2 years ago), and not direct. It was never installed by the previous owner, but still leaves me without original paperwork, and last I checked (actually PM'ed them before I purchased the kit), warranty is only good for original owner.

Figure I'll cross my fingers and still give it a shot...

Cherokee8ball 01-20-2015 12:00 AM

Waking a dormant thread. So what came of this? I have the exact same issue with my driver side low beam only. Both HID and Halogen bulbs didn't work on that side only and as you mentioned...no fuses involved. I haven't tested the connections yet. It was an abandoned vehicle so perhaps the ground or something is rusted into dysfunctionality. Testing wires tomorrow.

BravoKilo 01-20-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherokee8ball (Post 1139445)
Waking a dormant thread. So what came of this? I have the exact same issue with my driver side low beam only. Both HID and Halogen bulbs didn't work on that side only and as you mentioned...no fuses involved. I haven't tested the connections yet. It was an abandoned vehicle so perhaps the ground or something is rusted into dysfunctionality. Testing wires tomorrow.

Sorry it's not much help but I just reverted back to stock. Pretty sure it was a bad ballast but didn't feel like investing the money/time into figuring out what was wrong

Cherokee8ball 01-21-2015 11:06 AM

HAHAHA...it's funny. Upon testing the wiring we realized that the wiring I thought looked stock was actually aftermarket (previous owner was a Chrysler cert. mech.). We removed the ridiculous "relay harness" and reconnected the OEM plugs to stock Halogens and it worked fine. So that was my solution as well. I'm used to WJs and WK2s and didn't know what to expect out of the headlight wiring...I feel stupid now.