Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/)
-   -   Battery (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/battery-56452.html)

GCUK 03-14-2013 07:11 AM

Battery

Im beginning to think the battery in my 2004 GC is the original factory unit. Its got a Chrysler sticker on it, but according to the service history the jeep fell out of the dealer servicing network after the warrenty expired. Franchise Dealers charge so much for a battery that no one with any sense buys from them.
I spoke to an Internet battery dealer who said they had heard of some cars going 10 years on the original battery's. So I figure Im on borrowed time with this one.
Still, 9 years so far, thats good going !! :)

stashgto 03-14-2013 07:40 AM

Re: Battery

Actually the average battery's lifespan is way shorter than that. I kind of doubt it's original, but if it is I need to know who built it so I can buy from them.

GCUK 03-14-2013 08:10 AM

My favored car battery replacement unit is a Bosch S5 (5 year warrenty) So if Bosch will say 5, they must think it will go on longer than that.
But as I say, no proof, but it might just be.

GCUK 03-14-2013 08:11 AM

Cant see a manufacturer's mark on it in situation, just the Chrysler sticker on top.

stashgto 03-14-2013 04:10 PM

That's too bad I'd love to see, and I'm just speaking generally from years in shops. Batteries lasted so much longer years ago. Although the new technology batteries may prove to be good, but in recent years most batteries didn't usually last more than 4-5 yrs. Maybe its also all the electronics.

Your tag says 2004 2.8 wj ?????is that possible???

GCUK 03-15-2013 04:16 AM

No its not, but its the closest choice from the default menu when you set up your account !

stashgto 03-15-2013 01:41 PM

LOL, I'm gonna put SRT8 on mine- yeah right maybe next Jeep

Stuch 04-04-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCUK (Post 780224)
Im beginning to think the battery in my 2004 GC is the original factory unit. Its got a Chrysler sticker on it, but according to the service history the jeep fell out of the dealer servicing network after the warrenty expired. Franchise Dealers charge so much for a battery that no one with any sense buys from them.
I spoke to an Internet battery dealer who said they had heard of some cars going 10 years on the original battery's. So I figure Im on borrowed time with this one.

i replaced the original battery last year in BMW 5 series built 1999.
not bad

bill_de 04-04-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCUK (Post 780224)

I don't know when the started using AGM (absorbent glass material) batteries, but they are supposed to last longer.

GCUK 04-12-2013 10:48 AM

Well I got a fault with my gearbox last week on a very cold morning start. Jeep went into limp mode i think. Someone posted up a tech bulliten saying a weak battery is known to cause this fault on a cold day, so Ive bought a new battery now !