Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Key n Go issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/key-n-go-issue-56499.html)

jp467 03-14-2013 12:11 PM

Key n Go issue

So today my keyless entry by grabbing the door handle stopped working on my new 2014. I went to grab the handle and nothing happened although the instrument panel did light up inside so I know it got some type of signal. So anyhow i switched to the other fob and it works fine again. Any thought is there a way to reset or is it just a bad fob? Another thing I have noticed over the last few days is sometimes when I open the door the interior lights don't alwasy pop on right away. I have had a 3 or 4 times where it is 4 or 5 seconds before they come on.

LogicNow 03-14-2013 12:31 PM

Re: Key n Go issue

Change out the battery in your fob and it will probably all disappear. They seem to need changed about every year.

I have a 2011 and it starts to do funny things, replace the battery and it all goes away. Remember the interior lights, etc might be done off proximity to the car.

Andoskyy 03-14-2013 01:50 PM

OP has a 2014....so the battery is a few weeks old at most.

I'd still change it out. Could have gotten a bad battery.

As LogicNow said...they do funny things when the battery is low....and different funny things each time it starts to die.

jacko15 03-14-2013 02:16 PM

You might just try removing and replacing the battery first. Could be it's not making good contact. Just trying to save you the cost of a new battery and a trip to the store.

GBJeep 03-14-2013 02:59 PM

Might want to change out the battery on both fobs. I few weeks back I got the low battery message and bought a new battery, a few days later low again. Then I got my back up fob and it said it was low too. After new batteries in both problem solved.

Roki303 03-14-2013 04:01 PM

Guys,

I think somewhere in the manual I read that if you don't use your car for 48 (or 72 hours) passive entry will timeout and YOU WILL have to use your FOB in usual way to open the car. After that it should be back to normal.

If this is an intermittent issue that might be it. If you are dead in the water than I would try battery first.

jp467 03-14-2013 04:34 PM

I think i figured it out. Seem like having the key fob and my iphone in the same pocket interfered with it or something. Seems to work find now with both fobs.

PGBronco10 04-15-2013 02:08 PM

Will removing the battery from the fob cause it to lose the programming? I am trying to avoid a trip to the dealership

Thanks

Andrew Klossner 04-15-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roki303 (Post 780493)
I think somewhere in the manual I read that if you don't use your car for 48 (or 72 hours) passive entry will timeout and YOU WILL have to use your FOB in usual way to open the car.

Not quite ...

"If a passive entry door handle has not been used for 72 hours, the passive entry feature for the handle may time out. Pulling the deactivated front door handle will reactivate the door handle’s passive entry feature."

Andrew Klossner 04-15-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGBronco10 (Post 804255)
Will removing the battery from the fob cause it to lose the programming?

No. I changed the batteries in my FOBs with no trouble. (I ordered the batteries from Amazon.com, so no trip to the store.)

not_too_shabby 04-15-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 780511)
I think i figured it out. Seem like having the key fob and my iphone in the same pocket interfered with it or something. Seems to work find now with both fobs.

That is the same with my mazda. Having the fob and phone in the sane pocket will cause it not to work.