Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 gc limited transmission concern (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-gc-limited-transmission-concern-56505.html)

jim watson 03-14-2013 01:05 PM

2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
Just over 100 miles. After passing through small town and downshifting, vehicle stayed in 3 position during acceleration and would not shift out. Had to stop, reset in D, all went smoothly.

Any ideas?

f1anatic 03-14-2013 01:44 PM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
Were you manually shifting gears? How did you know you were stuck in 3rd? Could it be that you've engaged sport mode and the car was waiting on you to shift?

Andoskyy 03-14-2013 01:48 PM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
Sport mode in my Lexus was just like that. If you accelerated fast then let off...it'd stay at a very high RPM.

as f1anatic mentioned...it sounds like you're describing sport mode. Holding RPM's so power is ready to go next time you step on the gas. It keeps you in the peak HP range of the RPM curve.

Northland 03-14-2013 04:24 PM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 780413)
Were you manually shifting gears? How did you know you were stuck in 3rd? Could it be that you've engaged sport mode and the car was waiting on you to shift?

^^This. If you saw a "3" in the EVIC display, then you accidentally hit one of the shift levers on the back of the wheel. When you engage one of them the tranny shifts into manual mode and won't shift on its own again unless you go into "D".

f1anatic 03-14-2013 05:43 PM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
^^^ well but this is not all that good either. You already have the car in D and you've engaged sport mode. How do you back to D without stopping the car and shifting the knob?
i guess you can also cycle using the knob between drive and sport modes.
On most cars with paddle shifters you can control the transmission for a while but it defaults to full auto next time the transmission needs to shift. you can only keep the car in the high rpm band you are truly in manual mode. And on most cars you need to shift the lever not simply manually change a gear.

Srt8_hmi 03-14-2013 05:45 PM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
I once had a pick a nica there. Quite beautiful sir.

jim watson 03-14-2013 10:24 PM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
Sure is. Hard to vacation anywhere else.

ChrisOC 03-14-2013 10:52 PM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
Correct me if I am wrong, but won't the jeep auto shift to a higher gear if it needs too? Even in sport/ paddle shifter mode.

loveracing1988 03-14-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 780535)
^^^ well but this is not all that good either. You already have the car in D and you've engaged sport mode. How do you back to D without stopping the car and shifting the knob?
i guess you can also cycle using the knob between drive and sport modes.
On most cars with paddle shifters you can control the transmission for a while but it defaults to full auto next time the transmission needs to shift. you can only keep the car in the high rpm band you are truly in manual mode. And on most cars you need to shift the lever not simply manually change a gear.

Just the same way you got it into sport mode. One click back to go in and come out of sport mode.

ColdCase 03-15-2013 07:18 AM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
Did you say you had to restart the Jeep to reset? If so it sounds like the transmission computer detected a fault and initiated limp in mode. I'm not sure if the new 6 speed does limp in, but thats how the older transmissions worked. Otherwise your shift/slap signal was not getting to the computer, which could be a bunch of thing as I think all of that is on the control bus now.

Srt8_hmi 03-15-2013 07:33 AM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOC (Post 780710)
Correct me if I am wrong, but won't the jeep auto shift to a higher gear if it needs too? Even in sport/ paddle shifter mode.

I don't think it will upshift.

f1anatic 03-15-2013 12:32 PM

Re: 2014 gc limited transmission concern
 
Usually limp modes are RPM limited as to limit engine misfire damage and tranny damage and all the good superstar stuff you can do. Hence if he was stuck in 3rd and the rpms were high I conclude that he was in a manual mode of sorts given that his car was ok after that instance. I mean there's always a possibility of a granny glitch but I find it highly unlikely in this case.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community