Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Are skid plates worth the expense (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/are-skid-plates-worth-the-expense-56537.html)

2copps 03-15-2013 07:25 AM

Are skid plates worth the expense

I am getting a 2014 GC Overland 4x4 with Hemi. Is it worth the expense to get the OR II , The QUADRA-DRIVE II 4WD SYSTEM (AWB) comes with the Hemi. I will be going off-road but mostly, backwoods, beach, etc. Nothing major like rock climbing not sure if I need the skid plates. Does the skid plates get in the way of maintenance of the vehicle, extra weight?

Any thoughts on the matter. I do prefer the 20" rims that come with it and am not too worried about the "Trail Rated Badge" either. Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated.

On a seperate issue what is everyone's thoughts on the interior beige color w/light frost?? The exterior is going to be Maximum Steel??

HemiDawg 03-15-2013 07:40 AM

They help with possums at 70mph!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwnewman1 03-15-2013 08:08 AM

Re: Are skid plates worth the expense

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 780837)
They help with possums at 70mph!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, amongst other things. I don't do much offroading, but they definitely help with the random road debris from I-95 and I-495. I've lost count of the things I've heard bang into the plates.

SnoFire 03-15-2013 08:15 AM

I would say Yes it would be worth it. Granted I have went in the backwoods with my Trailblazer and my 01 GC without skidplates, no issues.

demontweak 03-15-2013 08:21 AM

U can buy the skid plates from the dealer parts counter. Seen them in the Jeep Accessories book.

myoung84 03-15-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2copps (Post 780826)
I am getting a 2014 GC Overland 4x4 with Hemi. Is it worth the expense to get the OR II , The QUADRA-DRIVE II 4WD SYSTEM (AWB) comes with the Hemi. I will be going off-road but mostly, backwoods, beach, etc. Nothing major like rock climbing not sure if I need the skid plates. Does the skid plates get in the way of maintenance of the vehicle, extra weight?

Any thoughts on the matter. I do prefer the 20" rims that come with it and am not too worried about the "Trail Rated Badge" either. Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated.

On a seperate issue what is everyone's thoughts on the interior beige color w/light frost?? The exterior is going to be Maximum Steel??

Quadra-Drive II does not come with the Hemi. It's a $795 option. If you prefer the 20" rims, then don't the the ORII package and add the skid plates later. I may end up adding them to mine.

demontweak 03-15-2013 08:35 AM

2013 accessories book shows three skid plates for GC, msrp $502 for all of them.

SnoFire 03-15-2013 08:41 AM

2013 skid plates might not fit on the 2014 unless someone has tested them.

spyder873 03-15-2013 09:11 AM

IMHO , any type of protection you can get is worth it. even on backwoods roads ,you may encounter a tree or limb down on the trail that you may drive over ,or some rocks or the wild possum attack as mentioned above ,lol .

Aiyer 03-15-2013 09:34 AM

Yep, worth every penny especially if you take the Jeep off-road. One less thing to worry about when you are driving in backwoods roads.

Specx 03-15-2013 10:35 AM

I added it to our build just for the peace of mind. Even if we only end up needing it once, I'd rather have the plates there and know they absorbed the impact than have critical components take the beating. Also I rather have things installed at the factory where it will go through the inspection process and get installed with the proper tools than to have my dealer fumble through the process and potentially mess up something else in the process.

Hammerhead 03-15-2013 10:53 AM

I like having stuff even though I may never need it. My last 2 ride have had 2-speed transfer cases and I've never used 4-low other than to practice going from hi range to low, and then back again.