Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Brake Fluid And Power Steering Change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/brake-fluid-and-power-steering-change-56543.html)

Laredo2006 03-15-2013 08:32 AM

Brake Fluid And Power Steering Change

Hey there,

Can I get these services done anywhere or should I get them done at the stealership because they have better fluids?

1. Brake fluid flush w/Fluid from Dealer? Which one though? (MOPARŪ Brake Fluid DOT 3, SAE J1703 (If DOT 3, SAE J1703 brake fluid is not available, then DOT 4 is acceptable. Use only recommended brake fluids.)12 oz. Bottle - p/n 04318080AB or 32 oz. Bottle - p/n 04318081AB?)

2. Power Steering Flush w/Fluid w/1 Quart MoparŪ Hydraulic fluid/Power steering fluid p/n 5142893AA/ Fluid from Dealer?

dr.lee.baugh 03-15-2013 09:19 AM

Re: Brake Fluid And Power Steering Change

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laredo2006 (Post 780871)
Hey there,

Can I get these services done anywhere or should I get them done at the stealership because they have better fluids?

1. Brake fluid flush w/Fluid from Dealer? Which one though? (MOPARŪ Brake Fluid DOT 3, SAE J1703 (If DOT 3, SAE J1703 brake fluid is not available, then DOT 4 is acceptable. Use only recommended brake fluids.)12 oz. Bottle - p/n 04318080AB or 32 oz. Bottle - p/n 04318081AB?)

2. Power Steering Flush w/Fluid w/1 Quart MoparŪ Hydraulic fluid/Power steering fluid p/n 5142893AA/ Fluid from Dealer?

Both are easy to do yourself (check the how-tos). That being said, if you want to get them done by a shop:

For the brake flush any shop will have the appropriate fluid and will be able to handle the job. Nothing difficult about it, or something only the dealer will do properly.

For the Power Steering flush - The dealership is the only place that has the fluid. If you take it somewhere, if they know what they are doing, they will get the fluid from the dealer. If they don't, they'll use ATF fluid and ruin your pump. You can always buy the fluid yourself from the dealership, and then take it somewhere else to have done. You'll also want to check how they get the air out of the system once the fresh fluid is in there if you have the hydraulic cooling fan (4.7 or 5.7 engines). The cooling fan has to be turned on to get the fluid moving to get all the air out. Dealers will do this with their StarScan, others may just turn on the AC (which also forces the fan to come on).

As an aside, why are you flushing the PS system? It does not require preventative maintenance and the fluid should be good for the life of the vehicle. So, unless it has been contaminated or something, personally, I would let it be.

Laredo2006 03-15-2013 09:51 PM

Someone onsome other jeep boards said I should do a brake fluid and power steering fluid change... I shouldn't do the power steering fluid change than? I also have 125k miles on this 2006 4.7. Please let me know! Thx

dr.lee.baugh 03-16-2013 01:26 AM

You can check (or have checked) the moisture level in the brake fluid to see if you have to change it.

IMO, I wouldn't bother changing the PS fluid. You can check to make sure the level is fine, and if it is, leave it at that.

Power steering fluid is not like engine oil or differential fluid and has no preventative maintenance schedule.

That being said, it won't do any harm to drain and refill the system if it will give you piece of mind.

Alternatively, you can go the turkey-baster route and suck out old fluid from the resevoir then top it back up with new fluid. After running it for a few days, repeat. Do this a few times and you'll rejuvenate the fluid without having to do a proper draining.