Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   plastidip question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/plastidip-question-56563.html)

BASSO'MATIC 03-15-2013 01:52 PM

plastidip question

Here's what I'm looking to.....I am going to paint my plastic chrome grille the same color as my jeep. My question is, do you think it would be a better idea to plastidip the grille as a foundation for the paint or just do it the old fashioned way? Has anyone tried it??? I hear that if you paint over plastidip it it difficult to peel it off. That would not be an issue for me, in fact, it makes me think it may hold up better compared to a sand, prime, and paint method. I realize that the grille will constantly be getting hit with road debris so I would like to do something that can take the normal abuse. Any thought or suggestions are much appreciated.

Lucas J 03-15-2013 04:28 PM

Re: plastidip question

What color is your WK?

Personally I really like the look of a matte black grille if all your other chrome trim matches.

I can tell you that paint on-top of PD will look very different from standard paint. Since PD has a texture to it, when you paint over it, it still maintains that texture.

Personally I would either just paint it or PD it. I lean towards towards PD because it isn't permanent and the color and matte/gloss/metalizer options are plentiful.

Then again, I am the guy who dipped his whole WK.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-15-2013 06:49 PM

dont paint on top of PD, it will look terrible

BASSO'MATIC 03-15-2013 07:54 PM

thanks guys....enough said

BASSO'MATIC 03-15-2013 08:11 PM

lucas....my wk is deep beryl green pearl. i painted the lower side trim to match and will pd the the window trim black with the glossifier. keep in mind I have gloss black rims. im open to ideas here! I don't anr to go overboard with the gloss black....but i don;t want to mismatch either.

BASSO'MATIC 03-15-2013 08:17 PM

and just for the record.....i know i'm a couple of years behind, but this is what i have and want to make the best of it. you guys have all inspired me and im loving every second of the mod process.

Lucas J 03-15-2013 09:29 PM

I am all about keeping it simple. If you have black gloss rims, chrome and the green, you have too much going on IMO. Color match your grille and trim and leave your wheels black.

Post up some pics so we can better a idea.

bematare 03-18-2013 03:52 PM

Plasti-dip holds up better than conventional spray paint(primer+paint) method, my grilles's PSD'd and it's 100% fine, whereas my wheels are loosing their appeal.

BASSO'MATIC 03-19-2013 08:44 AM

well.....i went with the plasti dip grill (matte black), and painted the mesh gloss black. it turned out pretty nice. I also plasti dipped the chrome trim below the widows. I need to redo that part....got a little careless. pics to come.

CPT2010 03-19-2013 09:26 AM

same color jeep.

from my experience of doing diff color schemes... go with all body color matched and have the chrome matched as well.

Get an srt8 grille and have the shell color matched instead of that chrome grill bc its a pain in the ass to prep

NJEMT714 03-19-2013 08:29 PM

Plasti dip the grille and gloss it if you dont like the matte. Dont paint over the plasti dip it wont look good and when rocks shoot up it will chip. Plasti dip basically will protect the grille and wont chip very easily.