Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Open-pore wood trim (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/open-pore-wood-trim-56581.html)

ftffom 03-15-2013 08:20 PM

Open-pore wood trim

I have ordered a white 2014 summit with brown interior. I just saw a 2014 summit with the black interior. I was appalled by the black open-pore wood trim. It is textured, but looks like it was painted with flat black paint - it looks like plastic. Now I am worried about the wood trim in the brown interior. If you have seen the brown summit interior I would appreciate your assessment (and photos if possible).

bill_de 03-15-2013 08:29 PM

Re: Open-pore wood trim

The black is not open pored.

I have the indigo/brown with open pore zebra wood. Very little shine, no mistaking it for plastic. The walnut should be the same.

The black wood is probably dyed or painted. The only really black wood is ebony ... Maybe affordable for a Rolls, but not a Jeep.

ftffom 03-15-2013 09:17 PM

The summit trim is open-pore. The black trim is stained/painted black. Quite different than the overland trim.

Jim_in_PA 03-17-2013 09:42 AM

Keep in mind that "open pore" just means that the grain of the wood isn't being filled before the finish is applied...a more natural texture. It's not related to the sheen as that's a factor of the type of finish that is actually applied to the wood. A more satin sheen will appear "richer" to many folks than a high gloss finish, even on the same piece of wood. While I haven't seen the MY14 Summit in person, I'm hoping that they took that approach...

Bill is correct that any "black" wood is likely dyed that color since it's rare in nature. Even ebony that he mentions ($$$$$$) isn't completely black, depending on actual species of ebony. It's not uncommon for walnut, ash or another open grain species to be used and dyed black for this application.

Cknight199 03-17-2013 01:39 PM

I love my trim in my 14 limited... Black interior

Nicks_2014 03-17-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cknight199 (Post 782192)
I love my trim in my 14 limited... Black interior

I also have a 2014 limited
I just wish the copper accents were a silver color, I hate that copper look.

Cknight199 03-18-2013 12:58 PM

I think the copper look accents the black trim, just me though

1973Commando 03-24-2013 10:40 PM

I saw the summit. The wood trim looked like plastic to me. These things are not that important to me. I am still choosing the Overland with the Brown / Light frost with the "Brown Zebrano Open pore wood".

On the summit I saw no color variations with the grain of the wood it simply looked like molded brown plastic. However, it did feel like real wood; it almost has a fragile quality to it. In one place, I rubbed my finger and I wondered if I got a splinter; it was a small imperfection in the grain. Personally, I would have preferred a translucent finish to show the grain of the wood instead of the feel of the grain. Generally, the quality of the finish in Premium Luxury cars makes the wood feel like plastic but look like wood. Here, we have the extreme opposite. I believe, since the surface is made to be durable, there are trade-offs.

I should say, the videos I have seen of the Zebrano wood on the Overland looks like one can see some variation of the color of the grain.

The "Summit Brown" Open Pore wood, I believe, has a very dark stain, not quite like paint.

Jeep_addicted 03-25-2013 07:56 AM

Most glossy wood finishes in cars today are some sort of wood veneer covered with any expoxy coating of some sort. This is done to magnify the grain and maintain a polished glossy appearance.

Basically the wood is sealed in a heavy coat of acrylic like epoxy coating.

Open pore wood on the otherhand is basically the wood/wood veneer sanded smooth as possible and either stained or dyed.

When it comes to really dark or black stains you tend to see less of the grain.

In some luxury cars you have the option to have the wood finished in black piano lacquer and usually it just looks like a piece of wood or plastic painted gloss black.

To me open pore wood is that compromise that lets you have wood with out that cheesy cheap overly glossy that some people hate.