Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   What OBDII scanner are you using? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/what-obdii-scanner-are-you-using-56595.html)

damazeen 03-16-2013 03:49 AM

What OBDII scanner are you using?

So, I'm in the market for an OBDII scanner for my 2012. What do you guys recommend? I need something to pull the fault codes and give a brief description of the problem and maybe possible solution. What works bedt with the WK2?

wrh1972 03-16-2013 05:20 AM

Re: What OBDII scanner are you using?

This seems to be getting a lot of press right now: Automatic - Your Smart Driving Assistant

I emailed the company to see if the 2014's are supported and got this somewhat cryptic response: "We plan on supporting the 2014's. For now, you can select the 2013 model in the list and we'll make sure to test that we support your car."

damazeen 03-16-2013 09:33 AM

That looks neat. But I was thinking along the lines of one of these:

Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus with Code Connect : Amazon.com : Automotive
or
INNOVA 3160B ABS/SRS+ Professional CanOBDII Diagnostic Code Scanner with Enhanced Live Data : Amazon.com : Automotive

Something I can update over the years and use on multiple cars. I take it these tools are all the same, I was just wondering if one is more suited to the WK2 than the other.

iamwiz82 03-16-2013 09:56 AM

I use a ScanGauge. It also runs as a gauge pod for my other car. It shows intake temperatures, water temperature, voltage, and boost pressure. I can disconnect it and check any of my vehicles in about 30 seconds.

damazeen 03-16-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamwiz82 (Post 781541)
I use a ScanGauge. It also runs as a gauge pod for my other car. It shows intake temperatures, water temperature, voltage, and boost pressure. I can disconnect it and check any of my vehicles in about 30 seconds.

Hadn't come across that one. Does it require programming or is it plug and play?

iamwiz82 03-16-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damazeen (Post 781547)
Hadn't come across that one. Does it require programming or is it plug and play?

It's plug and play other than a few settings. You can also custom code anything that OBD-II would be reporting. AFR, transmission temps, etc. As long as the vehicle has a sensor reporting it can do it, in theory.

damazeen 03-16-2013 10:49 AM

Thanks, that's great. I'll add it to my short list.

Kevman 03-16-2013 10:59 AM

if your not looking for a stand alone unit, why not use one that hooks up to a Laptop ?

damazeen 03-16-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevman (Post 781564)
if your not looking for a stand alone unit, why not use one that hooks up to a Laptop ?

I hadn't thought about that as an option. Are they reasonably priced? Can you recommend one? My main purpose is to know what's going on with my car (s) so I'd just assumed that a stand alone unit was all that was needed.

Kevman 03-16-2013 11:55 AM

well, yes & no... ive had this same Q' meself & found the OBDLINK SX to be pretty good from what it is capable of as advertised. i cant give a personal review because i havent recieved mine yet(int' shipping is a b****).

damazeen 03-16-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevman (Post 781583)
(int' shipping is a b****).

Ha ha! Tell me about it!! But seriously, thanks for the info. It does warrant a look.

ColdCase 03-16-2013 12:37 PM

I have a netbook, so I use an inexpensive $25 ELM based ODB to Bluetooth adapter and one of the free software packages to read and interpret the codes. Wireless. Lots of options for more sophistication.

I also received a GoLink as a birthday present. It plugs into an iPad or iPhone. Nifty but more money.

Auto Ingenuity makes a more capable system.