Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

New Hemi smell??

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  xnight 
#1 ·
So i got my 2014 WK2 limited with the 5.7L Hemi, had it for about 2 weeks now... Is it normal for a hemi to smell inside the car?? Is it new motor stuff?? This never happened with my previous jeeps ( non hemis ) smells like some kind of hot lubricant like odor... I open the hood but there's no smoke. Smell is not constant
Any ideas?
Thank you

#2 ·
Are you still getting the smell if you turn off the HVAC
You might have a leak that is dependent on things like the temperature and/or pressure of the lubricant through a valve or a hose that has a pore. It could also be dependent on the driving cycle - some car parts have clutches that engage or disconnect components (example: the alternator) to remove parasitic drive-train losses. Maybe when those components are engaged and lubrication goes to them, that is where it leaks.

New cars have warranties. Use it.

#3 ·
Congratulations on your new Jeep. I'd give it some time. When mine was new, every time I got out after driving, the engine radiated heat and smelled like something was burning. I didn't notice it on the inside with all the new car smell, however I am an allergy sufferer.
Mine also consumed oil at first, but now not at all. The outside temp gauge always reads several degrees warmer than the real temperature. I always think they put the sensor near the engine.
My Jeep dealer is very helpful when I have questions, so call or take it in if the smell is excessive.

#6 · (Edited)
Had the same question/ concern when I first purchased my '12 Hemi. The service manager told me the Hemi has so many stickers attached to various pieces of the engine that it takes a while for them to burn off, and to not worry about it. Took some time, but the smell did eventually go away.

#7 ·
Sweet, i will also add that i idle a lot when i take my wife somewhere, due to a knee injury i cant walk around for hours in a mall, so i just sit and watch a movie or two on my ipad lol. I dont do it that often but i do. Smell usually is present when vehicle is not in motion...
Ill wait a bit and see what happens, hopefully its just a bunch of stickers, because smell is not typical oily smell.
Thanks a million

#8 ·
Same here. Mine smelled like burning motor oil..no smoke, leaks etc. I actually forgot about it until I read your post...No worries, it goes away.
There were quite a few posts on this back in '11.

#10 ·
I had something similair with my ram when i bought it, a burning smell, tried to pinpoint it but never could, then it went away all of a sudden...its one of lifes great mysteries, wouldnt worry about it for now...

#13 ·
My 2013 Summit also has this smell. Have no idea what it is but my last V8 Overland did not do this. Saw a earlier thread where they were told it was a leak in the rear seal but they said the smell was like burnt oil. Really dont know what mine smells like but a strange burnt smell. Have 1400 miles at this time. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

#15 ·
While test driving, I smelled the same thing. Thought oil or something was burning and my wife thought it smelled like a Christmas tree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.