Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   What weight/length rv do you pull with your wj? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/what-weight-length-rv-do-you-pull-with-your-wj-56638.html)

honda_fox3 03-16-2013 09:50 PM

What weight/length rv do you pull with your wj?

So my wife is really pushing to get out of our old tent trailer, like next week, so I'm looking for size opinions.

Please specify if the weight is GVWR, UWR or actual weight from a scale loaded or unloaded. And list length as listed by manufacturer this will help me with comparison purposes.

Also what hitch (equalizer, etc), brake controller and any modifications you have done.

Thanks all!
Hopefully I'll have some pics of a new camper for you in a weeks or so.:thumbsup:

cheapjeep 03-16-2013 10:54 PM

Re: What weight/length rv do you pull with your wj?

Here's what we camp with temporarily bro. 22 ft Coachmen Catalina. Easy pull. #4200 dry I think. Gonna go 26' with a bedroom though. Tired today but will post some real info tomorrow.http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...G242Medium.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...G243Medium.jpg

suzieque 03-17-2013 10:19 AM

Is there a url to towing limits of the various wj powertrains?

Trav1s 03-17-2013 11:58 AM

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Trailer towing

This spells the towing info for the 4.0/4.7/4.7HO

Quote:

Trailer hitch packages, in general, are divided into four classes. Class I and Class II are usually designed to be weight-carrying with use of a ball mount. The Grand Cherokee WJ uses Class III and Class IV, which can carry heavier loads with the use of a weight-distributing hitch assembly that distributes the weight to all trailer and vehicle axles. A ball mount can also be used with Class III and Class IV Hitch Receivers for lesser loads.
Trailer Tow Prep Group (requires I-6 engine)
  • 3.73:1 axle ratio
  • Mechanical cooling fan
  • Trailer tow wiring assembly
Trailer Tow Group Class III (requires I-6 engine)
  • Transmission oil cooler
  • Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
  • 7-into-4-way plug adapter
Trailer Tow Group Class IV (requires V8 engine)
  • Power steering cooler
  • Transmission oil cooler
  • Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
  • 7-into-4-way plug adapter

WJ Towing Data
Engine
Transmission Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight
4.0L Power Tech I-6 4-speed automatic 5,000 lb
4.7L Power Tech V8 5-speed automatic 6,500 lb
High-Output 4.7L Power Tech V8 5-speed automatic 6,500 lb

Maximum gross combined weight rating
Class
2WD 4WD III 9550 lb 7550
IV 11,000 lb 11,000 lb Tongue Load Limit III, IV 750 lb Maximum trailer length III 25 feet IV 30 feet Trailer frontal area limitation of 64 square feet; trailer sway control and low-profile mirrors are recommended. This chart is meant to serve as a quick and easy reference guide on how to properly equip your Jeep Grand Cherokee for towing. For specific details, however, discuss your plans with your Jeep dealer, who will help you select the right equipment to meet your specifications.

honda_fox3 03-18-2013 11:34 AM

Good link thanks. I have been looking at that for a while. Still would like to hear real world experiences, ratings and experience are very different things sometimes ha ha

suzieque 03-18-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav1s (Post 782138)
This spells the towing info for the 4.0/4.7/4.7HO

wow, I guess I don't know much about the WJ! I assumed there was also a 5.9L (Magnum) or 5.7L (Hemi) available as well!

Trav1s 03-18-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 782906)
wow, I guess I don't know much about the WJ! I assumed there was also a 5.9L (Magnum) or 5.7L (Hemi) available as well!

4.7 replaced the 5.2 Magnum and the 4.7HO replaced the 5.9 Magnum. The WJ was designed before the 5.7 Hemi's design was finalized.

cheapjeep 03-18-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 (Post 782715)
Good link thanks. I have been looking at that for a while. Still would like to hear real world experiences, ratings and experience are very different things sometimes ha ha

Well Dustin last year was the first year for a camper behind the WJ. I've towed many campers over the years with a lot of different vehicles and the little WJ did an admirable job when you consider it is the smallest mid sized suv out of the big 3. Power isn't an issue although mine is an HO. That hydraulic fan is the best thing there is for towing, period. With a properly maintained cooling system it will never even break a sweat. I run the Superchips tow tune with the camper and can run with anything out there except a diesel. Actually the tune seems to deal more with the trans than anything. It really likes to hold a gear. Maybe Ryan can fix you up with something similar. Where the WJ falls short is in the braking department at least on mine. In extended stop and go traffic the rear brakes would get hot. Now My Jeep doesn't get a lot of miles on it and sometimes sits for extended periods so it may have been a slide pin issue. I bought new calipers and brackets to install when I do the new lift. Anyway I started manually leading in with the trailer brakes in town and had no more issues on that trip. Also I never checked the trailer brake adjustment which is a big no no because they aren't self adjusting. Another thing is I had a middle of the road brake controller which I rectified for this year. I just installed a Tekonsha P3 controller which probably would have never let last years problem happen because it will actually let you to set it up to lead with the trailer brakes. You get what you pay for here and I highly recommend the P3. With your new lift you're also gonna need a draw bar that has more drop than the standard one that comes with a weight distribution setup. The key is to get that camper as level as you can with the bars snapped up. If you take the time to get everything set up right you'll be more than happy towing with the wj. Try and keep your dry weight under 5k so don't be tempted by all those fancy slide outs:lol:

honda_fox3 03-18-2013 08:15 PM

Good tips cheap. Funny you mentioned the p3 i place and order to etrailer.com earlier today and that may or may not be part of it............... ;) Dry weight of most the trailers i have been looking at have been mid to high 4k but they all have big tanks so gvwr gets in the 7k range. Obviously this is assuming all the tanks are full and lots of gear so as long as im careful with my loading i think ill be ok. Remember i have the addco rear so that will help sway and im a big believer in a good antisway/equalization hitch. Brakes are about the only thing i was worried about so im glad you mentioned it. Hopefully with the p3 ill be ok if not ill upgrade the pads and rotors a bit. Keep an eye on my build thread for updates i should start see a box of goodies friday.

harkinsc 03-21-2013 01:21 PM

I tow my track car on an 18' double axle, flatbed, steel frame, wooden deck. Trailer weighs ~1,800 lbs and the car is ~2750 lbs. Fully loaded with tools and fluids the trailer approaches 5,000 lbs. I have a 2004 Overland w/ factory towing package (hydraulic cooling fan), Addco rear anti-roll bar, Up Country springs and shocks, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, and SuperChips w/ Tow tune. I don't experience a lot of sway because of my setup. But I'd imagine you would want some type of trailer sway control and load leveling with a tall, heavy camper behind you. I can run about 75 on the interstate with no issues or struggles from the Jeep. On flatland the trans will stay in 5th but will shift down to 4th on any long uphill runs. I average 12-13 MPG.

The P3 is a fantastic controller. I mounted mine in the center stack in the dash just between the seat heater switches. Perfect place for it. I can quickly and easily remove it when its not in use. The 'green' color option for the display is a really close match to the stock dash lights color.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C...and+Towing.jpg

Hacksaw 03-21-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harkinsc (Post 784973)

The P3 is a fantastic controller. I mounted mine in the center stack in the dash just between the seat heater switches. Perfect place for it. I can quickly and easily remove it when its not in use. The 'green' color option for the display is a really close match to the stock dash lights color.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-C...and+Towing.jpg

Any chance of a picture of your controller installed ?

Think Outside !- No Box Required.

honda_fox3 03-21-2013 04:37 PM

I actually saw a pic of an install like that online. Etrailer.com i think? Im thinking about that but then i loose my chewing gum pocket so im torn ;)

We should have a trailer purchased in the next week or so, ill be sure to post pics of brake controller, weight distribution hitch etc as well as full reviews and install how to.