Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   01 Grand Cherokee Rolls in Park (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/01-grand-cherokee-rolls-in-park-56644.html)

jrow8162 03-16-2013 11:35 PM

01 Grand Cherokee Rolls in Park

My 01 Grand Cherokee rolls in park. I have to start it in Neutral and when I put it in gear I have to go a gear down, 2nd instead of Drive, to get it in gear. When it rolls it makes a clicking noise. I've had multiple mechanics give me multiple solutions to this problem from transmission to shifter. Anyone ever seen this problem?

kennzz05 03-17-2013 04:17 AM

Re: 01 Grand Cherokee Rolls in Park

sound like a linkage issue the clicking issue sounds like it isnt fully engaged in park. how to fix? not sure but disconnecting the linkage and trying to operate the shifting arm manually at the transmission seems to make sense. dont forget to chock the wheels both front and back

jrow8162 03-17-2013 10:12 PM

That may be a little out of my comfort zone... :) I think i'm gonna take it to a transmission shop and get an estimate on fixing it. I was thinking linkage too but want to be sure before I attempt to replace anything myself.

2005JGC 03-17-2013 11:39 PM

if it clicks when it rolls that means your park pawl is being pushed in and "engaged" it sounds like you have a broken park pawl which is caused by putting the vehicle in park before you are stopped. This will involve complete dissassembly of the trans to replace unfourtunatly... The biggest problem is you probably have a decent amount of metal floating around in your trans from the damage.

If this is your exact problem or not, I would get it to a shop. Sorry.

Frango100 03-18-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 782503)
if it clicks when it rolls that means your park pawl is being pushed in and "engaged" it sounds like you have a broken park pawl which is caused by putting the vehicle in park before you are stopped. This will involve complete dissassembly of the trans to replace unfourtunatly... The biggest problem is you probably have a decent amount of metal floating around in your trans from the damage.

If this is your exact problem or not, I would get it to a shop. Sorry.

Shouldn' t he first try to adjust the gear selector cable, since it seems to be far out of adjustment? Maybe the cable was hit by something and not in the right position anymore or a bracket bend? Also to get to the park pawl, can' t the overdrive unit be separated from the transmission without removing the whole tranny? If metal is found in the fluid or pan due to broken park pawl, a complete disassembly would be best for sure.

2005JGC 03-18-2013 02:57 PM

Yes frank, sorry, reading fail on my part, I totally read over the prndl not matching up to the gear selection part.

also the repair suggestion was also correct, I was thinking TE/RLE trans.

Sent from my SCH-I500

jrow8162 03-19-2013 09:23 AM

The transmission is also starting to slip a little. Jumps in low gear. I can replace it for around 1,100. That includes a 3 year warranty on the replacement trans. My concern is that a transmission shop will charge me a fortune to tear it down and fix the problem. If replacing the trans is the quick fix then I may go that route. Thoughts?

Frango100 03-19-2013 11:24 AM

Im not familiar with the 42RE tranny, but i can imagine that a wrongly adjusted gear shift cable also put the manual valve inside the valve body in the wrong position, which could cause slipping and.other strange tranny behaviour. I would firsr check the adjustment of the cable. Did anything happen to the jeep lately (hit something underneath or strange sound when.shifting)? The problem could even be with the gear shift lever assy. So be sure that the problem is indeed inside the tranny.

jrow8162 03-20-2013 08:19 AM

I'm not sure anything happened underneath but for the past few year's i've had to start the jeep in neutral from time to time. Now I have to back it down a little past drive to get it to go into gear so it wouldnt be too far fetched to think the cable may need adjusting.

Frango100 03-22-2013 06:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If you want/can do it yourself, here is the gearshift cable adjustment procedure attached.

jrow8162 03-23-2013 12:29 AM

This is good information. I will give it a try tomorrow! Doesn't look too hard to do! Thanks for the info and I will let you know how it goes!

jrow8162 03-24-2013 09:19 PM

Ok so took the diagram that Frango100 sent me and checked the linkage. Started underneath the jeep on a lift at my brothers shop. Grabbed it and it was loose. Turns out the bolt that holds the linkage was backed out. Has been like this for years. Tightened it almost 4 full turns. Now the jeep starts in park and shifts into gear like it should! Bad news is I decided to change the filter and fluid and found two big pieces of metal in the pan. My brother thinks it is part of the clutch spacer so looks like I have a new tranny in my future. Looked like half a ring came out. Shifter is fixed but the small slip in low gear is still there.