Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   To hot (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/to-hot-56658.html)

padgett 03-17-2013 09:07 AM

To hot

Was in traffic yesterday, mid-70s & windows open. Saw 215+ F at stoplight. Is too hot but factory does not turn fan on yet.

Anyone know of an aftermarket device that can turn fan on earlier, say 197F. Personally get bothered by temps over 200F.

ps at 215F the guage had not yet reached 1/2.

moosehead 03-17-2013 09:26 AM

Re: To hot

That is reasonably normal for stopped in traffic, max I've seen is circa 220F, again while stopped motor running. I do not see anything beyond 210F while moving, even with a big tow load and major elevation gains.

Maybe the 180 Tstat guys will chime in here.

f1anatic 03-17-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 782034)
Was in traffic yesterday, mid-70s & windows open. Saw 215+ F at stoplight. Is too hot but factory does not turn fan on yet.

Anyone know of an aftermarket device that can turn fan on earlier, say 197F. Personally get bothered by temps over 200F.

ps at 215F the guage had not yet reached 1/2.

The aftermarket device is called COLDER THERMOSTAT if you want a mechanical solution. Most thermostats these days are 195, 180 or 160 deg F. Probably the Jeep has a 195 deg F unit.

I have a 160 deg F thermostat on the Subaru and keeps the engine temps around 180 deg. (I have a dedicated gauge for that).

Fan operation can also be controlled at the level of cooling fan relays (which on a Subaru Legacy fail every 2-3 years); thermistor (that detects the temperature and opens the switch) and the ECU himself.

You can also turn on the heat in the cab or engage the AC in the cab - both operations actually open a new pathway for the cooling fluid to go through. One goes to the circuit that will blow hot air in the cab (probably undesirable) and the other method engages the A/C compressor which itself needs to be cooled but as the engine coolant exchanges heat with the A/C juice there will be an overall reduction in your engine coolant temps (at least on Subarus).

But I would not worry about it. Remember, 195 deg thermostats are needed to control emissions.

2012 Summit 03-17-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 782057)
The aftermarket device is called COLDER THERMOSTAT if you want a mechanical solution. Most thermostats these days are 195, 180 or 160 deg F. Probably the Jeep has a 195 deg F unit.

I have a 160 deg F thermostat on the Subaru and keeps the engine temps around 180 deg. (I have a dedicated gauge for that).

Fan operation can also be controlled at the level of cooling fan relays (which on a Subaru Legacy fail every 2-3 years); thermistor (that detects the temperature and opens the switch) and the ECU himself.

You can also turn on the heat in the cab or engage the AC in the cab - both operations actually open a new pathway for the cooling fluid to go through. One goes to the circuit that will blow hot air in the cab (probably undesirable) and the other method engages the A/C compressor which itself needs to be cooled but as the engine coolant exchanges heat with the A/C juice there will be an overall reduction in your engine coolant temps (at least on Subarus).

But I would not worry about it. Remember, 195 deg thermostats are needed to control emissions.

I would think turning on the A-C would increase the coolant temperature on any vehicle. Please explain how running the AC will reduce coolant temps. Thanks

loveracing1988 03-17-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 782064)
I would think turning on the A-C would increase the coolant temperature on any vehicle. Please explain how running the AC will reduce coolant temps. Thanks

Turning on the ac would increase coolant temp because the hot refrigerant needs to be cooled through the condenser which is in front of the radiator, although the fan needs to come on so it would accomplish turning the fan on at least.

ColdCase 03-17-2013 10:31 AM

215F is relatively cool for todays engines, don't worry about it. You may just be a bit paranoid. You could try to put a lower T Thermostat in, but the lower temps will affect how much and when fuel is squirted, so your performance is not going to be optimum. I think your cats will run hotter on the richer mix and will burn out sooner, and there would be no affect on the reliability of other components. So if your goal is long life or reliability, you may be shooting yourself in the foot.

I think your best option is to add auxiliary cooling fans and turn them on in stop-go traffic.

AAAA 03-17-2013 10:50 AM

I've often seen it.

f1anatic 03-17-2013 11:39 AM

Oh I will explain and prove it no worries. Give me about 2 hrs. But if you think that the compressor runs all the time you are wrong. Just like the fridge it cycles as for the refrigerant to not freeze the pipes/clutch. The heat exchange is actually different than how you think

bill_de 03-17-2013 11:54 AM

Damn owner's manual must have it wrong again. :lol:

"This light warns of an overheated engine condition.
As temperatures rise and the gauge approaches
H,
this indicator will illuminate and a single
chime will sound after reaching a set threshold. Further
overheating will cause the temperature gauge to pass
H,

the indicator will continuously flash and a continuous
chime will occur until the engine is allowed to cool.
If the light turns on while driving, safely pull over and
stop the vehicle. If the A/C system is on, turn it off."

loveracing1988 03-17-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 782124)
Oh I will explain and prove it no worries. Give me about 2 hrs. But if you think that the compressor runs all the time you are wrong. Just like the fridge it cycles as for the refrigerant to not freeze the pipes/clutch. The heat exchange is actually different than how you think

The compressor does not run all of the time but the heat it removes for the cabin has to go somewhere.

2012 Summit 03-17-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 782078)
Turning on the ac would increase coolant temp because the hot refrigerant needs to be cooled through the condenser which is in front of the radiator, although the fan needs to come on so it would accomplish turning the fan on at least.

That's what I was saying "I would think turning on the A-C would increase the coolant temperature on any vehicle. Please explain how running the AC will reduce coolant temps. Thanks"

2012 Summit 03-17-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 782124)

No need to prove it for my sake. I already know for a fact that running the A-C will increase the coolant temperature. Running the heater will help reduce the coolant temps...