Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Why Did They Do it? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/why-did-they-do-it-56745.html)

TurboWarp 03-18-2013 06:52 PM

Why Did They Do it?

I really like the 2014 Summit. I have to say that the 2013 looked better but the 2014 still is nice. But why did they do it?..... Why did they put those cheap plastic body moldings over the wheel wells? They don't even fit flat to surface. Reminds me of an old cheap GM trick. Anyone else notice this? Thoughts?
<object style="position:absolute;z-index:1000" type="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" height="0" width="0">

</object>

Srt8_hmi 03-18-2013 08:05 PM

Re: Why Did They Do it?

Buy an Overland maybe?

reece 03-18-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboWarp (Post 783031)
I really like the 2014 Summit. I have to say that the 2013 looked better but the 2014 still is nice. But why did they do it?..... Why did they put those cheap plastic body moldings over the wheel wells? They don't even fit flat to surface. Reminds me of an old cheap GM trick. Anyone else notice this? Thoughts?
<OBJECT id=plugin0 style="POSITION: absolute; Z-INDEX: 1000" width=0 height=0 type=application/x-dgnria>
&nbsp
</OBJECT>

I like it better than the overland and other models. On those models I don't like how that black plastic stands out specially on cars other than black. To me that looks cheap.

On the summit, (which I took delivery this past Saturday), it looks like the SRT's. Which I happen to really like as well.

BobsWK2 03-18-2013 08:10 PM

I like the painted uniform look of the wheel well mouldings and that's one of the reasons I ordered a new Summit to replace my 2012 Overland which has the cheap looking black wheel well mouldings. The painted pieces, I think give the Summit a more upscale look, and that's what Jeep wanted to do with the Summit.

But as another said, just get an Overland.

FAUEE 03-18-2013 08:13 PM

They use the plastic bits so you don't have scratches and chips in the paint in those areas. Ever seen what rocks do to painted rockers at highway speeds? Or what a brush against a tree does?

The plastic bits keep you from crying about how messed up the car looks. If you do get a vehicle with those areas painted I'd HIGHLY recommend getting those areas protective vinyl'd.

rubicontrail.net 03-19-2013 12:42 AM

I actually prefer the black plastic. It will hold up to sand and stones better than the painted surfaces. If I pick up a WK2, it will probably be an Overland, but I would be swapping in the black trim and installing the Trailhawk I rock rails. Yeah, I am one of te weird ones who like the rugged outsides and upscale interiors.

Keirik 03-19-2013 03:20 PM

Me just personally, I think the Overland looks like the more expensive model on the outside than the Summit. That's just me though. I know when i was originally looking, I was only looking at the Summit and almost ended up buying a 2013 just because I thought the rims, over the top amount of chrome, MDX style rear, and less aggressive front just didn't look very good at all. To me, it looks like a truck that is trying to borrow from 3-4 different trucks and make it a Jeep. I don't think it works.

It's a shame too because I really wanted a brown interior and the sound system had me really intrigued. After I saw the Overland though, I fell right in love. Looked exactly what the Summit should have looked like in my opinion.

stashgto 03-19-2013 03:39 PM

I like the color matched so much better, and will probably purchase a 2014 unless something better shows up. I didn't even consider the 2011-2013 because I hated the black plastics, and we knew they would be reworking the wk2.

TurboWarp 03-19-2013 05:37 PM

This will sound weird but I actually thought they did a good job with the black plastic wheel wells on the 2013 vintage. It looked like it should protect against rocks like a jeep would need. My original owner 97 TSi V8 (189K miles) does not have wheel well protection on the top of the well and has done rather nicely without chips. I may try to get an overland but I want to get it with the chrome ("bright") grill which I like a lot on the summit. We will probably get a Summit if we can get the skid plates added without having to go down to the 18" wheels and if the backseat dvd player ever comes out. I just think that they should have done a better job on the fit and finish when applying the cheap plastic. If it was all sheet-metal it would have looked much better. Best to have left off the plastic. Anyone know if the rear dvd will really come out and if it will take until July? I wonder how that will be mounted with the sun roof? Thanks for the feedback. It is welcome and fun reading. Would like to hear more comments.

SW03ES 03-20-2013 12:52 PM

I saw a Summit at the dealer yesterday when I went to get a new rear wiper blade for the Jeep.

I don't get it...I think the Overland is much more attractive...try as I might though I just dislike the front end on all of them.

BobsWK2 03-20-2013 01:45 PM

I guess its a good thing I went with the Summit since I don't like the way the chrome tow hooks stick out like a sore thumb on the Overland. If they painted them black, to me, the front end might look better.

SW03ES 03-20-2013 04:40 PM

You can get black ones no problem