Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Wk2 hemi oil change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/wk2-hemi-oil-change-56828.html)

comnjeep 03-19-2013 10:39 PM

Wk2 hemi oil change
 
So ive done my oil change twice and both times put in 7.6qt with new mobil 1 filter to get to full mark on dipstick, just fyi as manual says 7qt to full... Never had a car need more than spec to get to full before, hope this helps someone...

BobsWK2 03-20-2013 01:45 AM

Re: Wk2 hemi oil change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by comnjeep (Post 783883)
So ive done my oil change twice and both times put in 7.6qt with new mobil 1 filter to get to full mark on dipstick, just fyi as manual says 7qt to full... Never had a car need more than spec to get to full before, hope this helps someone...

I also had to put that much oil in the hemi.

robtminor 03-24-2013 11:23 AM

Re: Wk2 hemi oil change
 
I have the dealer change my oil and I've gotten used to reading my stick as full at 1/4 to a 1/3 below the full mark. At first I thought I was burning oil, but it consistently stays at the same mark. It did burn a little oil during the break in period, but not now. Just in case, I carry an extra quart.

nek121328 03-24-2013 04:32 PM

Re: Wk2 hemi oil change
 
My Jeep master tech said to keep it at 7 quarts. He said don't over fill it. It can affect the cylinder deactivation/activation mode.

jgc4ever 03-24-2013 04:59 PM

Re: Wk2 hemi oil change
 
7 quarts is right at the add line. And then it dipped below the add line. I'm doing my own oil changes from now on. I put almost 7 1/2 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic in and it brought the level up to 2/3rds above the add line into the cross hatch area of the dipstick which makes me comfortable with it. I was able to purchase 3 5-quart bottles and 2 Mopar filters from Walmart for a total of $94.43 including tax. That's only $47 per oil change for quality full synthetic and a Mopar filter and gets me an extra quart of oil to put that extra half in and have extra if it gets low before the next change, and have 7 1/2 quarts for the next oil change. Had to get a new engine oil drain plug, the one on there didn't fit any of my sockets and had to use a vice grip to crank it off.

comnjeep 04-04-2013 10:13 PM

Re: Wk2 hemi oil change
 
I've never ever heard of a recommendation for a wet sump engine to run it at the low end of oil in the pan (usually just the opposite), but hey, now I have!

I can see how it could possibly effect the MDS if OVER filled.. But would you rather have a higher risk of low oil pressure, less dilution of contamination, less heat dissipation, and need to check the oil more often as it may drop below the low level sooner... Or have the worthless MDS kick in for sure? I'll trust the hashmarks, thank you.

Frankly, I considered going to 5w-30 just to have the MDS not work, but remembered I'm still in warranty ; )

briteway 04-04-2013 10:47 PM

The MDS will still work on 5W-30 and if you go thicker than that, you'll get a code thrown for "wrong engine oil type".

leks66 04-09-2013 07:42 AM

Is Mobil 1 Chrysler compliant now?

steveo 04-09-2013 10:30 AM

Re: Wk2 hemi oil change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 787165)
My Jeep master tech said to keep it at 7 quarts. He said don't over fill it. It can affect the cylinder deactivation/activation mode.

Mine said the same thing.

comnjeep 04-09-2013 08:28 PM

Re: Wk2 hemi oil change
 
I just have to say filling it is not "over filling" it. It's filling it. :p

comnjeep 04-09-2013 08:32 PM

Re: Wk2 hemi oil change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 787182)
7 quarts is right at the add line. And then it dipped below the add line. I'm doing my own oil changes from now on. I put almost 7 1/2 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic in and it brought the level up to 2/3rds above the add line into the cross hatch area of the dipstick which makes me comfortable with it. I was able to purchase 3 5-quart bottles and 2 Mopar filters from Walmart for a total of $94.43 including tax. That's only $47 per oil change for quality full synthetic and a Mopar filter and gets me an extra quart of oil to put that extra half in and have extra if it gets low before the next change, and have 7 1/2 quarts for the next oil change. Had to get a new engine oil drain plug, the one on there didn't fit any of my sockets and had to use a vice grip to crank it off.


That's because the "master techs" at the stealership over torque everything. (and underfill the engine!).

jpcjf 04-09-2013 09:14 PM

Re: Wk2 hemi oil change
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by leks66 (Post 799392)
Is Mobil 1 Chrysler compliant now?

It may be for political reasons but still technically, No.
Copied and pasted from today's Mobil 1 website.

Question: Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395 Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ges/spacer.gifAnswer: Chryslerís latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chryslerís specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community