Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Oil Change Indicator? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/oil-change-indicator-56845.html)

Badltdan 03-20-2013 10:50 AM

Oil Change Indicator?

Hey folks. I have a 2012 V6 with about 7,700 miles on it and the oil change indicator light just came on a day or so ago. The thing is, I just had my oil changed by the dealership when the car had about 5,500 miles on it. The light did not come on that time, I just wanted to get the first one done before I headed up to the mountains. I can't imagine that after just 2,000 miles, I need another oil change, right? I'm guessing that the dealer didn't reset the indicator. I know I can reset it myself, but if I do that will it come back on at the correct time for the next one? Just for reference, I live in the Bay Area so there is quite a bit of traffic. Thanks in advance!

jacko15 03-20-2013 11:43 AM

Re: Oil Change Indicator?

Just to be on the safe side, with your warranty and such, I'd stop by your dealer and have him do it so it's in your service records.

bill_de 03-20-2013 11:52 AM

Whether you reset it or the dealer does it, it's going to start reading as if it was just done. There is no benefit to going to the dealer. You don't need to go to the dealer for any service to maintain your warranty, just keep receipts.

If it was me I would reset the thing, change the oil in another 5000 miles, 7000 total, and then reset it again. At that point you can be comfortable using the minder.

jacko15 03-20-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 784185)
Whether you reset it or the dealer does it, it's going to start reading as if it was just done. There is no benefit to going to the dealer. You don't need to go to the dealer for any service to maintain your warranty, just keep receipts.

If it was me I would reset the thing, change the oil in another 5000 miles, 7000 total, and then reset it again. At that point you can be comfortable using the minder.

I envy you folks who aren't stricken with OCD. Your lives are so much less complicated!

Badltdan 03-20-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 784185)

This is what I was thinking, but I didn't think the indicator was based on mileage alone? I thought it was based on driving habits and a few other factors as well. Does it go off every 7000 and some change miles or does it vary by driving habits? I would hate to actually need an oil change now (although I have to imagine there is no way I would need one) and not get it done?

bill_de 03-20-2013 02:32 PM

It measures more than mileage. They usually count the number of starts, number of revolutions, etc.

I just figured you would be safe with 7000, and then use the minder from there. Even when we did oil changes were done every 3000 miles, it wasn't a magic #.

AJB-830 03-20-2013 04:28 PM

The Oil Change Indicator in my 2011 GC V6 seems go on between 3,200 and 3,500 miles. Book says to change oil within 500 miles of indicator going on. Also says not to go longer than 6 months or 8,000 miles. I usually change oil between 3,000 and 3,500. We do a lot of short trip driving though. Al

Jeeters 03-21-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 784177)
Just to be on the safe side, with your warranty and such, I'd stop by your dealer and have him do it so it's in your service records.

I doubt that them resetting it will go into the records. The service advisor (desk jockey) will either grab a tech or just do it himself and they'd probably just do it right in the parking lot and just give you a friendly "there ya go. have a nice day".

Jeeters 03-21-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJB-830 (Post 784378)
The Oil Change Indicator in my 2011 GC V6 seems go on between 3,200 and 3,500 miles. Book says to change oil within 500 miles of indicator going on. Also says not to go longer than 6 months or 8,000 miles. I usually change oil between 3,000 and 3,500. We do a lot of short trip driving though. Al

First time mine went off it was at 7500 miles. Subsequent reminders have been 3500. I've read that it goes on 500 miles beforehand, which is why they say change it within 500 miles of driving.