Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   GPS programming while driving? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/gps-programming-while-driving-56871.html)

billybronco1 03-20-2013 08:44 PM

GPS programming while driving?

Is there a way to input a new address into the gps while driving. As you know it grays out when the car is moving. We do have a passenger that can do this most the time. I understand the dangers for the driver but come on.

bill_de 03-20-2013 09:27 PM

Re: GPS programming while driving?

I think the voice input still works.

---

Debauch 03-20-2013 09:46 PM

You can with lockpick or equivalent ... or by voice.

Nicks_2014 03-21-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 784601)
I think the voice input still works.

---

yeah, hit the voice button on the left side of the wheel. took me about 5 minutes before the stupid thing got the address right, but it worked.

tllapointe 03-28-2013 08:01 PM

We have just driven 2,000 miles on interstate highways at 70 mph.

I have tried voice recognition over 20 times while doing 70 mph. My wife has tried it. We have NEVER got it to recognize an address. I used Bing and it asked for the address but NEVER came close to what we were saying.

For us, voice recognition is useless for address entry or entry of a city. So, while moving, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a hotel 50 - 100 miles away. You must stop.

Tom

tllapointe 03-29-2013 08:36 PM

Today, I was doing 75 mph on I-40. The road noise was relatively quiet. I used Voice and said "Navigate To" an street address in another state. It processed it correctly. I was pleasantly surprised and will try it more.

Tom

1stJeepGC 03-29-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tllapointe (Post 790922)

I have tried voice recognition over 20 times while doing 70 mph. My wife has tried it. We have NEVER got it to recognize an address. I used Bing and it asked for the address but NEVER came close to what we were saying.

Tom

Greetings,

With the Uconnect voice recognition, depending on which unit and year you have, it takes a while for the system to know your voice and translated it correctly. I have the 430 with no navi and with Sirius, I believe it took a number of tries before it got my voice pattern. I think it was a good month for me. So 20 times or more is not uncommon.

Best for now.:)

Beski 03-30-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tllapointe (Post 790922)
We have just driven 2,000 miles on interstate highways at 70 mph.

So how did she drive for this long of a trip at 70mph?

tllapointe 04-03-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beski (Post 792397)
So how did she drive for this long of a trip at 70mph?

We were very pleased with the ride, handling, and quiet ride. The Advanced Tech Group was outstanding. So many times we slowly came up behind slower moving vehicles and our GC gradually slowed to maintain a safe distance. It was so smooth that often we didn't realize we had slowed 8 mph. The Blind Spot Warning worked great as well.

Specx 04-03-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tllapointe (Post 791660)
Today, I was doing 75 mph on I-40. The road noise was relatively quiet. I used Voice and said "Navigate To" an street address in another state. It processed it correctly. I was pleasantly surprised and will try it more.

Tom

I'm going to have to test this more. I tried on our trip to Long Beach this weekend and it didn't work. The only thing I've been able to get to work is asking it to bring up fuel prices and then I'll manually select and navigate from there.

Wolfman2332 04-07-2013 09:12 PM

I've been using the voice input for a while on my '14 Overland, and it works pretty darn good. If it can't get the street after several tries, it asks you to spell it. And that works great!

joyfil2001 04-10-2013 09:28 AM

Why not just buy a lockpick and call it a day? I just installed mine and took 15 minutes.