Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Power Steering problems... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/power-steering-problems-5688.html)

RiverCityWK 01-18-2010 12:45 AM

Power Steering problems...

I think my power steering pump may be going bad. When I'm idling or driving slowly I can hear the power steering whine and it becomes difficult to steer. Does it sound like the pump is bad? I just replaced the battery thinking that may have had something to do with it and the fluid levels are good. I'm lost??

blackpepper 01-18-2010 12:58 AM

Re: Power Steering problems...

The fluid levels might be good but maybe you need to flush the system and add newer fluid??

pkang21 01-18-2010 03:53 AM

does it make chewbacca sounds? like a moan/whine
if so my mechanic told me to see how the fluid is doing or
it means u have to change the pump they said around my cars mileage, they need to be changed.
i m in the 80,xxx miles zone get it checked asap!

06HemiLtd 01-18-2010 10:03 AM

i'm having the same problems and my jeep only has 40k miles on it. http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/power-steering-fluid-5617.html

i drained the old fluid and put new in but it still is growling bad. i ended up buying the new fluid at the dealer for $16/quart. i'm looking at replacement pumps now and they're around $70-$100.

Scottina06 01-18-2010 10:42 PM

pump

pkang21 01-18-2010 10:58 PM

yeah best choice is pump i guess.. and its an 06 mine is too
i used to love how smooth the steering is, now its a bit stiff

06HemiLtd 01-19-2010 08:15 AM

just to update you guys...i called advance auto parts, autozone, napa, and o'reillys and nobody can get me a power steering pump. apparently there are only a couple of manufactuers that rebuild them and there is a nationwide shortage. i got the same story from all 4 places. ended up going to the dealer and paid $135 for one. i'm going to install it tomorrow.

RiverCityWK 01-19-2010 08:22 AM

Great... Let me know how the install goes. I'll be picking mine up this afternoon

pkang21 01-19-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiLtd (Post 134769)
just to update you guys...i called advance auto parts, autozone, napa, and o'reillys and nobody can get me a power steering pump. apparently there are only a couple of manufactuers that rebuild them and there is a nationwide shortage. i got the same story from all 4 places. ended up going to the dealer and paid $135 for one. i'm going to install it tomorrow.

wow i went to two shops and they all told me 210 for the part and they are like my dads friends so know they wont ripp me off.. but 135 sounds soo much better...
i got mine in less than 30 minutes after ordering

06HemiLtd 01-20-2010 08:36 AM

the 5.7L uses a different pump than the 3.7L and 4.7L. i should have mine sometime later this morning.

rufdod 01-20-2010 09:24 AM

im sure it is a pump issue. I have 65000 miles on mine and mine went. I changed it last week, it was making really horrific noises when i tried to turn and i had not power steering. I ordered a pump from the dealership for $125. Autozone and those type places couldn't even order me one. The other benefit to ordering it from the dealership was coming with the pulley installed, so you dont need a special tool to remove the old one

RiverCityWK 01-20-2010 10:43 AM

Gotta love having a best friend as a regional manager for ACDelco. $45 out the door for the pump.